Dermatology Expert Forum
Red dots on skin

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Red dots on skin

About two months ago I began to notice pin point ( and some a bit larger) red spots on my body.  They are not in the form of a rash and do not itch etc.  They are not in any specific area either.  Some are on my arms, legs, breasts etc.  My Dr. looked at them and said they just come with age but the nurse at my school said it looked like petechiea to her but not serious.  My mother who was a nurse for 40+ yrs said no way was it petechiea.  She said if it was there would be no question, it would be very pronounced.  I have had a CBC and a coagulation done just to calm my nerves and everything came back normal.  Just before the dots came I was taking Macrobid for a UTI and now I have reads tons of negative things about that drug including that it can cause petechia.  Should I see a dermatologist?  I also have anxiety.  can anxiety cause these dots.  Some are fading in time.  Please help!!! Lisa
Lisa:

Yes, you should see a dermatologist, just for peace of mind.  The dots may be small blood vessel collections called angiomas.  I doubt they're related to blood disorders, and the normal tests you had are reassuring in that regard.

One look, and a ski doctor ought to be able to set the matter to rest.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
1 Comment
A related discussion, red dots on skin was started.