Dermatology Expert Forum
Red rash on feet and lower legs

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Red rash on feet and lower legs
About three weeks ago I developed red dots on my feel and lower legs.  They are not raised, do not itch and do not blanch when I press on them.  They seemed to appear in clusters, with a few more prominent round spots in among the rest.  The clusters are fading now, with the more prominent spots fading more slowly from the center toward the edges.  I have read some things about vasculitis and petechiae, and my symptoms appear to fit in with this, but I don't know what would have caused it.  Is it anything I should follow up on, since it is going away?  Is it likely to recur?
The hallmark of vasculitis is raised purple bumps.  If your bumps are flat, they are probably involving the capillaries, and that, plkus the fact that the rash is symmetrical, suggests that this will be a transient episode of little significance.  If the spots don't go away in another week or two, or if you have other symptoms of illness, you ought to show your doctor.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff