Dermatology Expert Forum
Sebaceous glands

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Sebaceous glands

Recently I've noticed white spots on my lips when I stretched them.  From the research and Dr. visits I've had I understand that they are sebaceous glands.  

1. But my question is this - I did a little more research and different doctors say that there are no sebaceous glands on the lips - and moisturizing cream is prescribed for the lips because they get dry because there are "no sebaceous glands on the lips"  I am totally confused.  I was content in knowing what they are but now I have read opposing opinions about the subject and want to know what to believe.  Why would they say there are no sebaceous glands on the lips?
Believe me, of course!  The glands visible on the lips are not there in most people--that's why they look different when some people have them.

Here's a quote from a major skin textbook, published this year:

Fordyce granules are sebaceous glands that are located in the vermilion zone of the lips and the oral mucosa. Historically, these sebaceous glands have been considered ectopic[MEANING: they don't belong there]; however, because they are such a common clinical finding in the oral cavity, Fordyce granules should be regarded as a variation of normal anatomy. They can also be found on the vulva.  
Epidemiology  
Fordyce granules are found in both sexes and are less common in children. The prevalence of Fordyce granules ranges from 70% to 84% of the population.

If you're unsure of exactly what you have, please let a dermatologist have a look in person.

Take care.

Dr. Rockoff
1 Comment
A related discussion, i don't get it either was started.