DERMATOLOGY
FORUM
Sever arm itching
by blong1717, Oct 17, 2002
It
Answer:
by Alan Rockoff, MDBlank, Oct 18, 2002
Your symptoms (and their partial response to Zoztrix) suggest a neurological basis.  I suggest you consult a neurologist or pain specialist (pain, itch, and tingling all travel along the same nerve fibers.)

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
Member Comments (28)
by Barend, Oct 19, 2002
In the meantime try Penaten, a ointment for baby diaper rash and eczema, made by Johson and Johson.  Add some vitamin-E oil to the rather stiff ointment. It helped me.  It is cheap and effective, and can't do no harm.  Also, you can try a paste of oatmeal. Barend.
by Barend, Oct 19, 2002
In the meantime, take only luke-warm showers.  Reduce the shower time. Use Petrophyllic soap (for baby skins).  Don't rub with a rough towel, dab it dry with a soft cloth.  Apply Penaten, a stiff ointment for diaper rash and for eczema, made by Johnson and Johnson.  Put some vitamine-E oil in the Penaten.  It cures scratches faster and makes the ointment easier to apply.  These are all little common sense helps that can't hurt  O yes, excercise regularly. Let us know if you notice any improvement. BTDT, Barend.
by blong1717, Oct 19, 2002
Thanks for the information. It's so strange that there are so many people that have this problem but no one knows what causes this. . I have been checking the internet and have found many others with the same problem and yes, I do think it is a neurological problem that a pain specialist can help with because I have been to other doctors and dermatologist and they do not know what is causing this.
I have been using Zostrix HP, which has capsicum (the heat in peppers) and empties the nerve receptors of the itching signal. It burns like heck but is a lot better than the itching. I also get a little relief from Sarna and  other creams that have Camphor or Menthol in them which helps sooth the prickling sensation.
The best relief is with an ice pack. I could not go to sleep last night until I got up and wrapped with an ace bandage an ice pack on my arm. I am waiting for this to end as it always does for no apparent reason.
As I sit here typing and scratching (now I have applied an ice pack) I am still wondering if someone has seen a neurologist and have received any answers. Again I welcome any emails and will forward others that have replied until we can find an answer. Signing off and scratching away. ***@****

by blong1717, Oct 19, 2002
I did a little more searching and may have come up with a cause and hopefully a cure.
In the 1980's thru the 1990's I had above normal hours of exposure to the sun from being a lifeguard but also have spent hundreds of hours baking under tanning lamps in tanning solons.
I found this post and think this may be the problem.

PUVA is a type of ultraviolet radiation treatment (phototherapy) used for severe skin diseases.

PUVA is a combination treatment which consists of Psoralens (P) and then exposing the skin to long wave ultraviolet radiation (UVA). It has been available in its present form since 1976.

This person wrote:

I have something to say about the comments various people have said about PUVA Itch. I have had PUVA ITCH. I refer to it as
by blong1717, Oct 19, 2002
Well a miracle happened today! I got a prescription for the Lidoderm (Lidocaine Patch 5%) which cost $125 for 30 patched but are very large so I cut it in half, placed it on my shaven arm and within 3-4 minutes had relief! I just woke up from a 45-minute nap and have not been bothered one bit! I can
by blong1717, Oct 20, 2002
Relief, I just woke up from a 9-hour sleep. I have not slept that long in years. The Lidoderm has done the trick! This is wonderful. I hope anyone that has this problem tries this product. After years of agonizing torture I have found a solution and probably a reason for my itch. I hope this will help others with the same problem. The answer from Dr. Rockoff would have been correct and I feel if I had visited a neurologist he may have recommended the Lidoderm  patch. May be not. I did find my answer searching the Internet, such a wonderful thing. The answer I found was on a website www. Flakehq.com. This is a sight for Psoriasis. Thanks for the emails from people with suggestions. I hope this posting of my problem and solution will help someone else with sever arm itch! I removed the Lidoderm patch in the middle of the night when I used the restroom to give my arm a rest because I had it on past the recommend 12 hours and it is 5 hours later and still no itch. I am a happy person.
by cpb, Oct 29, 2002
I registered to this site just to present what I have found.  I have several scars on my arms from where I scratched the skin away until I bled.  I suffered with this on and off for years.  It was usually worse in the summer but seem to rage more at night.  It seemed to never or barely affect the underside of my arm. It was impossible to sleep and I tried just about everything I could buy.

One Doctor said it was likely I had some inflamation that was affecting the hair follicles on my arms.  He tried an inexpensive gel and it worked!  The oitment is medically called FLUOCINONIDE and the brand is LIDEX (Gel 0.05%).  Is is manufactured by MEDIDIS The Dermatology Company.  The Gel seems to work faster and better than the cream.

When the itching starts to flair up I simply rub a dab on each arm for 2 or 3 days.  Within about 10 minutes or so the itching subsides.  If I use it for a few days the itching stays away for weeks.  If I use it for several days in a row, the skin on my arms start flaking like I was sheding an old sunburn.  

I have been grateful and using this product for a few years.  Lately I can tell when it is starting to flair up pretty early and I have been treating just spot areas of perhaps a 2 inch circle.  

My life has been radically changes since I found this and I have told many.  Everything has been great until last week when I came down with shingles.  My back has been killing me since then.  However having beat the itching problem, the shingles has not really been that discouraging yet.
by cpb, Oct 29, 2002
Try LIDEX FLUOCINONIDE by Medicis.  

It worked for me.

(Read previous comment for details/history.)