Dermatology Expert Forum
Skin infection or pigmentation

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Skin infection or pigmentation

I have this dry skin on my stomach that's gone a browny colour. It's under my arms as well. It's been there a few months now and it's been stretching down my stomach and onto my chest.
It doesn't itch or flake or smell or hurt. Just looks strange.
Thanks for posting your query.

It is important to rule out pityriasis versicolor from your symptoms. The other one that needs evaluation is erythrasma which presents in the body folds as well-demarcated, brown-red macular patches. The skin has a wrinkled appearance with fine scales.

Pityriasis versicolor is a fungal disease caused by a type of yeast that naturally lives on your skin. When the yeast grows out of control, the skin disease, which appears as a rash, is the result.

The spots may disappear during cool weather and get worse during warm and humid weather and appears as light or dark patches on face or chest which do not tan with exposure to sun.

KOH examination of the skin scrapings and Wood’s lamp examination may help in confirming the diagnosis.

Hope that this information helps and hope that you will get better soon.

Wishing you good health.