Dermatology Expert Forum
Welt on husband's neck

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Welt on husband's neck

About 2 weeks ago, my husband developed an itchy spot just below his ear on his neck.  When I first looked at it, it was a bump with a tiny red spot in the center.  He said it itched a lot.  He proceeded to scratch it a lot until it was bloody and oozy and about 1/2 inch long by 1/4 inch wide.  I got him to stop scratching it.  He has been applying some antifungal cream I have  (not sure of what it is called) and keeping a bandaid up.  It has healed but is still a raised welt of the same size.  He has been following the bandaid procedure for about 4 days.  MAYBE it is less raised.  I am not sure.

Can you tell me what this might be?

Deborah:

Probably nothing much.  It sounds like there was a pimple or bocked pore or something nondescript, and your husband scratched it out of annoyance or anxiety or absent-midedness, and made it look bigger and worse, which perpetuated the cycle.  There's probably no bacteria there, and certainly no fungus.

My advice: tell him to apply bacitracin ointment twice a day, leave it alone otherwise, and wait 4 weeks.  The bump will gradually fade (and I do mean gradually), but it will.

If it persists after a month, show it to someone.  Bet you won't have to.

Good job to get your husband to lsiten to you!

best.

Dr. R