Dermatology Expert Forum
dry, tight skin and treatment
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

dry, tight skin and treatment

I have had dry, coarse skin since my late twenties (I
Related Discussions
242489_tn?1210500813
I would have to wonder whether your skin is really that dry, or whether you are moisturizing it so often that as soon as the lotion settles, you start to think about your skin and notice that "tight" sensation.  It's a little like trying not to think that your lips are dry, which makes them feel dry, and then you lick them, and so on.

Obagi Blue Peels (trichloroacetic acid) don't do anything for dehydration.  They're fine for sun damage and fine lines on the face, less fine for pigmentation on the chest, and not much good at all for legs, certainly not what you're complaining of.  If I were you, I'd stay away from peels for this purpose.  Also, I'd skip the exfoliation, which isn't going to do much for your sense of tightness.

My advice is to limit your moisturizing to once daily.  Either soak in a tub with bath oil for 15 minutes, or apply a moisturizer containing ammonium lactate (ask your pharmacist) immediately after showering.  

Also a good idea might be a visit to a dermatologist, just to make sure you haven't got eczema or some other skin condition which aggrvates the sense of "dryness."

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank