Dermatology Expert Forum
persistent circular rash

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

persistent circular rash

In March (2003) I developed  a blotchy red patch on my left shoulder, was prescribed an anti-inflammatory creme..it was found to be non-fungal. It didn't work, I was prescribed a stronger creme, the rash began to spread..through the last 4 months I have been prescribed Elocon, Loprox, Ultravate, Diprolene and Topicort. None have helped and now the rash is all over my left shoulder down to my elbow, and covering most of my back. It begins as a small, itchy red mark about the size of a dime and spreads, as it becomes larger, it becomes skin colored in the center with just a raised red ring about 2 inches in diameter..the rings come together to form a pattern- so they all begin to connect.I have had 2 biopsies and the first was said to be nummular eczema..I should be getting the results from the 2nd tomorrow. My doctor seems baffled. Any ideas on what would work to clear this up? I also have ulcerative colitis and I'm on 2 meds for that- Colazal (started in March 2002) and Purinethol (started in mid-April 2003)..I don't know if the rash is a reaction to that...any help you can give would be appreciated..I'm so uncomfortable and embarassed to wear short sleeve shirts now because my rash is peeking from under my sleeve.
A rash that spreads after the use of superpotent steroids and produces red rings with clear centers--sure sounds like fungus to me.  I'm not sure how the rash was found to be "non-fungal."  Scraping tests can be misleading if negative--may have been scraped in the wrong place.  As to the biopsy, fungus looks like eczema under the microscope--the pathologist can use special stains to look for fungus.

Even if the secind biopsy doesn't cpnfirm fungus, your doctor may want to try a topical antifungal and perhaps also an oral one for a couple of weeks.  It couldn't hurt, and fungus is quite curable, without scarring.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff