Dermatology Expert Forum
persistent itching...

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

persistent itching...

For the past few weeks I've been suffering with whole body itching. There is not an inch of my body that isn't itching.
I have visited my GP and he just told me to take an anti-histamine, I am doing this but it does not seem to be providing any relief. I have also tried some home remedies and creams (such as E45) and lotions.

I have had blood tests done recently for diabetes, my thyroid and I have since been cured of my iron deficiency anemia.

It isn't the kind of itch that I can ignore, I can't help but scratch it. However, it isn't causing a rash - I'm just getting some really nasty looking scratch marks and red marks - for example, on my abdomen, I have a ton of little red spots from all of the scratching. I've scratched until I've bled and it's just really getting out of hand now.

Even though it is my whole body, I find it to be worst: on my shins, my whole forearm, my abdomen, my back, my inner thighs and behind my knees). My body truly looks horrible with all of these marks and I would appreciate any responses regarding what it could possibly be!
Thanks for posting your query.
I can understand your concern. You have got most of the causes of itchy skin without rash like thyroid causes, diabetes and iron deficiency anemia ruled out. However other causes like dry skin (xerosis) due to hot or cold weather with low humidity levels, long-term use of air conditioning or central heating, and washing or bathing too much can also cause itchy skin. Apart from that, you can have itchy skin due to irritation and allergic reactions to chemicals,wool,soaps,cosmetics and certain foods  and liver conditions as well.

Get your liver function tests  and a repeat Hb levels done to completely rule out iron deficiency anemia. Oral antihistamine, such as Benadryl can also be used but may cause drowsiness. You should take a comfortably cool bath and wear smooth-textured cotton clothing. Avoid scratching as if scratching breaks open the skin, bacterial infection can set in. And if scratching continues for many months or years, the area that is scratched may develop thickened skin.  Use non-allergenic soaps and then apply soothing skin lotion to provide smoothness and cooling effect. You can also apply calamine lotion.

Hope that this information helps and hope that you will get better soon.

Wishing you good health.