Dermatology Expert Forum
rash on two-year olds face

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

rash on two-year olds face

Approximately 6 weeks ago,my 2 year old nephew developed a rash on his left cheek about 2cm in diameter.It originally presented as a ring of little pustules(i.e. a circle of little spots with pus filled tips).He did not really complain of itchiness and it only bothered him occasionally.It became worse when he got hot and especially when he sweated.Recently,it has spread to the chin area and bothers him more now.It is also more itchy and actually bleeds sometimes.We took him to our GP and a diagnosis of childhood acne was suggested.He was prescribed Fucidin H which has offered no relief and is due to see a dermatologist soon.Just today,I also noticed a small little pimple on his lip.It is bothering him a lot and we are anxious to get to the bottom of it.I have e-mailed your site before and your diagnosis of a problem I had myself was extremely helpful.I hope you can be of assistance.Thank you.(in an unrelated question:is it possible to get sebhorreic dermatitis on the feet?)Thanks.
Infants get acne, and older children, but not 2-year-olds.  A bacterial infection is possible, but irritation from rubbing and saliva is perhaps more likely.  Don't worry about the bleeding--irritation of sensitive skin can do that.  Just cleanse the skin gently and don't use any active medications like antibiotics or steroids while arrangements are made for him to see a skin doctor for diagnosis and treatment.

Seborrhea affects the face, ears, scalp, and mid-chest only.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff