4th stage renal failure in my dog
I have a nine year old lab  "Sandy Grace".  She is in fourth stage renal failure-Of course she has seen her regular vet for fluids-ultra sound revealed she has one kidney which is failing.   Creatine was 13-subs at home-now using hollistic and homepatic treatment.  Recently more bad days than good.    I am giving her ice chips which seem to work better for her than lapping.  Pedialyte ice is also better.  She throws up until she staggers and falls-I am continuously trying to hydrate her and giving her baby food-At times, she is able to keep it down,  other times the vomiting is horrible.  She continues to try for us, and we are fighting so hard for her-LIke others, I tuck her in at night (she sleeps on the loveseat with her "bankie" covering her).  I am sleeping in the den with her so I can give her support throughout the night.  Neither of us are getting much sleep.  I have her spoiled now with hand feeding other than her baby food, and I hold her plate while she licks it up.  I am using a recipe of egg yellow / whites, honey, and whole yogurt with a touch of dry powdered milk.  This works sometimes.  Sandy Grace is not ready to leave us-she continues to try-we try for her twenty-four hours a day.  Is there any over the counter medication that I can give her that will help with her vomiting?  We love her so much and she loves us so much-my husband and I feel like we will know when she is ready to go.  We went to grocery store yesterday to  buy more food supplies and liquids for her, when we got home, there she was looking out the window-barking for us to hurry and come inside-you open the door and there she is  - -so excited, still wagging her tail for us.  What can we do, this is our baby, she is so, so sweet-I know her days are numbered, but she is just not ready to leave. Help.    Aggieone
I have a 14 year old rat terrier named Rocky. He is my little old boy, he was diagnosed with renal failure in 2013 by a fairly new vet, fresh out of Texas A and M Vet school, we live in Texas. The vet had his blood tested and said it was possible he might also have cushings. I have been watching his protein, magnesium and phosphorus, I do not restrict his water intake. She said he has about 40% functionality of his kidneys and lost about 1/2 his weight, he used to weigh 11 lbs but is now at 6.5 to 7 lbs on good days. The vet initially put him on royal canin renal LP, Rocky did not care for it, we moved to a small town outside of Austin and found a fantastic vet, he is an old country doctor who is a large and small animal vet. He changed Rocky to Science diet KD dry food in 2014 and this year added canned science diet KD too. Our new vet doesn't believe in blood testing very often if at all any more.  Rocky has been diagnosed and our vet told us he wants him to have a good quality of life, he said Rocky is getting on his years and the old man may have trouble with vaccines from this point on. The little old man Rocky has arthritis in his shoulders, is losing his strength in his hind legs and can't make it up the stairs. We have added floor cushion mats in the house by the outside stairs to ensure he doesn't get stuck but can amble up the stair using the elevated thick foam cushioned mats. He can no longer jump up nor can he jump down off the dog beds, so we carry him and move him about on bad days, but on good days he uses the climbing mats we set up for hm. He is on an MLM for his arthritis, gets cold now very often. We have rescued two other dogs, a female Chiweenie who is  2 yrs old and keeps an eye out for the old man. We also have a 4 yr old Chi Mix who is Rockys buddy, they sleep together often and pal around all the time.
I have a few questions. First, what is green tripe and what benefit does it add? What is Avanti oil and what does it do? Rocky is increasingly getting a rounder hunched over looking back and tummy, has trouble getting up from a prone position and needs help to right himself. I think it is due to an enlarged Kidney? He loves a morning walk but gets so tired. He is sleeping much more as he ages. I suspect he is in his final stages, but is hanging on, our vet is reluctant to do many tests or give him vaccines now as it is a shock to the old mans body, and he sleeps so much more when they give him any vaccines -- which are now spaced out so he doesn't get a bunch of vaccines on the same day. He will turn 15 on November, some days I don't think he will make it another day, others he seems spry playing with toys and ambling after the squirrels chasing them up a tree outside.

Appreciate any tips. Thanks, just trying to give my little old boy, Rocky a good quality of life in his remaining time.
Hi. Mr Flash sounds a cutie - and I think you may have your hands full with him. I think you are right to be very cautious about him jumping and while the steps are a good idea initially, it would be better to train him out of getting onto furnishings. That's just me though. I don't allow any of my dogs on furniture, because it can easily get out of hand, particularly if a dog becomes more dominant later on. I have known owners that aren't allowed on their sofa, because the dog won't allow it. Ha, strange, but true.

Keep me updated with how things go.

Best wishes, Tony
Hi. Can I ask you to join our special User Group here on MedHelp ... the Chronic Kidney Failure in Dogs User Group. You will find it invaluable, with lots of support and information from owners that have or have had dogs with kidney failure. We are a family there, so please become a member.

Rocky is indeed an elderly man, so palliative treatment is probably the right thing. You already appreciate, time is not on his side, but there are still things you can do to make his life more comfortable. Diet is crucial - so have a read of my article Diet and CKF here (there's also info about Green Tripe in this piece):

http://www.infobarrel.com/How_Diet_Affects_Dogs_with_Chronic_Kidney_Disease

I agree with your vet, annual vaccinations are definitely not worth doing. They will stress the kidneys even more and could bring about a rapid decline. I don't however necessarily agree that blood testing is now inappropriate. It really depends on whether you want to be able to intervene at the right time to correct rising BUN, creatinine and phosphorus. If you don't know when they are too high, then you won't know you need to change the diet or management of the disease.

If you can, feed him the same as you would ordinarily do in a day, but split it into four meals equally spaced out during the day. Lower volumes of food at one time will make it easier for the kidneys to deal with by-products and toxins created from the food. Also, drizzle a little natural honey or salmon oil on the food, as these help encourage eating and are very good supplements to the diet for kidney failure.

When you say "Avanti" oil, do you mean Azodyl? I have not heard of Avanti oil. If you do mean Azodyl, which is a supplement, take a look at my article, which discusses all kinds of supplements commonly used with kidney disease. I have tried to write it pointing out any evidence to their success, or not, with this disease. You can find it here:

http://www.infobarrel.com/Supplements_Useful_For_Kidney_Failure_Dogs

Okay. That's probably enough reading for you right now. Come back with any questions you may have.

Tony
I am sorry for you and I hope I can help. My mini dachshund passed away March 20 of this year from renal failure. I cooked for my doxie since she was 2 yrs old. She was 15 when she passed away. I would suggest that you cook him some chicken breast pieces in filtered water. Steam some vegetables, you need to steam them till they are a little overcooked because they have a cellulose covering on them. I also cooked a little pasta in filtered water. I smashed  everything up with a fork as fine as I can get  it  and shred the chicken into small pieces.  Do not give your dog any of the water you have cooked in. Dogs should only have filtered water. The water you use for the chicken is o.k. as it adds flavor to the food and their are nutrients in it. You can do the same with hamburger, Strain the water off and blot the hamburger in a paper towels to get most of the grease off. And now a very important thing add 2 to 4 tablespoon of warm filtered water to the food before serving.

YOU NEED TO GET THOSE BLOOD TESTS FOR YOUR DOGS NO MATTER WHAT YOUR VET SAYS. MINE NEVER SUGESSTED IT. I DID GET HER A BLOOD TEST AFTER I STARTED COOKING FOR HER TO MAKE SURE SHE WAS GETTING THE NUTRIENTS SHE NEEDED. I NEVER GOT ANY MORE UNTILL SHE GOT SICK A YEAR AGO AND WE FOUND OUT SHE HAD RENAL FAILURE. THOSE BLOOD TESTS SHOW UP EVERYTHING!!!..IS ROCKY'S PHOSPHORUS LEVELS O.K.? MY VET GAVE ME A PHOSPHORUS BINDER FOR MY DOXIE. I DID NOT LIKE IT. SO I RESEARCHED PHOSPHORUS BINDERS ON THE INTERNET AND FOUND OUT I COULD USE GROUND UP EGGSHELLS. 1/2 TSP FOR EVERY POUND OF FOOD. I GAVE PEABODY MY DOXIE 1/4 CUP OF FOOD SO SHE GOT 1/8 TSP MIXED IN HER FOOD. WASH THE EGGSHELLS, MAKE SURE THERE IS NO EGG WHITE STUCK ON THE SHELLS IF YOU USE SHELLS FROM HARD BOILD EGGS. YOU CAN LEAVE THE MEMBRANE ON THEM THERE ARE  NUTRIENTS IN IT FOR THEIR JOINTS. WASH THEM, DRY THEM, SMASH THEM UP, PUT THEM ON A BAKING SHEET AND PUT THEM IN THE OVEN AT 300 AND COOK FOR TEN MINUTES. COOL THEM AND PUT THEM IN A COFFEE BEAN GRINDER AND GRIND TILL THEY ARE POWDER, THEN I PUT THEM THROUGH A FINE MESH SEIVE. THE MEMBRANE WILL BE LET IN THE SEIVE. IT IS SOFT AND O.K. TO PUT IN WITH THE EGGSHELL POWDER.

I ALSO HEARD DRY DOG FOOD IS NOT GOOD FOR DOGS. MY PEABODY NEVER HAD ARTHIRITIS. I THINK THE BEST FOOD FOR DOGS IS HOMEMADE.

WHAT VACCINES ARE THEY GIVING HIM? I WOULD SURELY GET A BLOODTEST THOUGH. THAT IS WHY I AM A SORRY MOM BECAUSE I DID NOT GET BLOODTESTS DONE REGULARLY, WE WOULD HAVE CAUGHT IT SOONER. I ALWAYS SECOND GUESSED MY VET. I DID MY OWN RESEARCH AFTER SHE WAS DIAGNOSED A  YEAR AGO. 2/3 OF HER KIDNEYS WERE GONE, BUT I KEPT HER ALIVE FOR ANOTHER 13 MONTHS.

I DON'T KNOW ABOUT GREEN TRIPE OR AVANTI OIL, YOU COULD GOOGLE IT.

MY PEABODY'S HIND LEGS GAVE OUT 2 DAYS BEFORE SHE PASSED AWAY. SHE WAS SLEEPING WAY MORE TOO. THEN SHE THREW UP ONE MORNING AND FROM THERE IT WAS ALL DOWN HILL. SHE QUIT EATING SO I MADE HER A LIQUID DIET AND SPOON FED HER, I GUESS SOME DOGS GET ULCERS WITH KIDNEY FAILURE THAT IS WHY THEY STOP EATING. MY VET TOLD ME TO GET SOME PEPCID BUT I TOLD HER I WANTED SUCRALFATE THAT HEALS ULCERS. I DID  NOT PUT HER TO SLEEP, SHE PASSED AWAY AT HOME.

I HOPE I HELPED YOU A LITTLE, BUT DO GET THOSE BLOODTESTS NO MATTER WHAT YOUR VET SAYS, YOU ARE THE ONE PAYING FOR IT, THEY ARE SOOOOOOOOOOOOO IMPORTANT. LIKE I SAID , I AM A SORRYMOM
Hi again this is sorrymom. I just wanted to tell you if you do cook hamburger for your Rocky use only 80-85% lean. Leaner hamburger has more phosphorus. I think he will do better on a home cooked meal.  And if you do cook homemade food make sure his calcium is not high, which you find out with a blood test. If his calcium is o.k. you have to put it in with every meal accordingly to how much food you feed him, too much is not good either. If you give him a snack you should sprinkle some on it. I am not a vet but everything I tell you is from experience.  sorrymom
.
Hi I forgot to mention it is eggshell you have put in if his calcium is ok.
Hi Tony,  Yes, Flash is  a cutie and he keeps me very busy. He doesn't get on the couch unless someone is sitting there. But yes I am slowly working on not letting him on the furniture. It is hard though, I think he must have been allowed on the furniture by his owner. As far as his health, I am very afraid of his kidneys, so in August we will get a blood test on him, I want to stay on top of it hopefully. We will be doing it every year. I wanted to send you a picture of Flash and Peabody if that is possible. Flash will be my last pooch, I am getting old too. Thanks
Here I am again. This old lady forgot to tell you I only use frozen vegetables, peas, green beans , and I by fresh carrots-peel them and slice them thin, not too thin, and freeze them with the peas. I also buy a fresh  sweet potato, I peel it and  slice it into  about a 1/4 inch slice and freeze them too. I don't give corn and no white potatoes, they are nightshade vegetables and they have some stuff in them that is not good for dogs. I hope I remembered everything this time. I think the stuff in white potatoes is called Solaine or something like that. sorrymom  
Thanks Tony, you go have given me a lot of info. And reading. All welcome info.
As to Rockys diet. I have always watched his sodium intake as the female vet 2 years ago told me to do so, also feed Science diet LP canned now as he prefers it. He likes carrots cooked or raw, green beans, fresh cooked pumpkin, Greek yogurt, loves cooked chopped pasta, brown and white rice. I have him on three meals a day now. He sleeps better and looks overall better as I mix brown rice and pasta into his evening dinner. I do sometimes add chopped cooked chicken or turkey to his food when he is especially hungry and give him a little snack at lunch and after dinner as he gets upset if he does not have an after dinner treat. He likes broth from the cooked meats, so I save it for him and add it to his meals as I cook at home most often.
I began making dog biscuits for him, also occasionally give him scrambled egg as he loves it.

What about almonds? He loves flax and olive oil. I have not tried salmon oil but will find some.

I agree with you on getting blood testing done, I think my vet is almost afraid of what he will find with respect to the blood testing, might be why he does not want to do it ( his words...afraid of what I will find ) on my dog Rocky, perhaps because he will be the bearer of bad news, he definitely seems to bond his animal patients. At the last examination he told me to add more fiber to his diet, brown rice, sweet potatoes, carrots and put him on a daily vitamin . Rocky also has a skin tag which seems to get infected often, he treats it with antibiotics, it heals and get infected again and again.

One question: are tomatoes ok for animals to eat? Not sure.
Hi Sorry mom, thank you for the info! I have a recipe somewhere to prepare dog food using frozen veg and ground beef. Glad you have given me more info. On foods.
I have recently begun worrying about him as he had developed that round tummy, hunched appearance and his coat is getting dry and not as nice looking, then he had a couple of days where he was listless and wood not eat. I took away all the meat in his diet and fed him only brown rice and chicken broth or pasta with yogurt and chicken broth. He returned to normal, so I put him on his LP canned food diet, he has lost eight teeth which the vet pulled and he cracked one tooth which the vet cleaned and wound up leaving just stitching it closed.
He has lost ability to hold his bladder, he pees everywhere, i must put a belly band on him when he is inside alone with my two other dogs when I cannot stay home with him and need to go to work out, yoga classes, grocery store or what have you. I cannot leave him outside as he will do everything in his power to get under or walk thru the gate to get in front of the house. His eye sight is starting to fail and the vet also told me he has cataracts in both eyes and his eye sight is deteriorating.

I will try the egg shells, thank you for your advice and kind words. Yes, I must get the old man Rocky tested so I can find out where he is at now. Las I know is his creatinine, phosphorus and BUN was high according to the vet, which is why he was put on Renal dog food.

The vet gives all dogs the 3 year rabies vaccine every year as the city requires it. Also bordatella, he had it 7 months ago. The vaccines are being stopped, if I have to go out of town I will have to leave him with my husband or my daughter in another city close by if we both have to go out of town. My daughter has two rescue pit bull mixes (65 lb pups of two years), Rocky stays out of their way as he is 7 lbs dripping wet now.

Again, thank you for all your advice, I will talk to the vet and see about getting him tested again. If he won't do it I will try the second vet in the office or find another vet.
Hi. While not toxic, almonds are not easily digested and can give your dog an upset stomach and create gastric intestinal distress. So only give very small amounts and infrequently. Tomatoes are also fine, as long as they are ripe. The leafy parts of the tomato plant ARE poisonous to dogs, so be careful if you grown them yourself in a greenhouse or in your home.

Just a mention also about the Greek Yoghurt ... make sure this is pure and plain yoghurt, not one that has been sweetened (some artificial sweeteners are very poisonous to dogs) or had additives added to it. Also, I say plain yoghurt because any other could contain fruit pips, again these are often poisonous to dogs.

Fibre is great for CKF dogs ... but not always the same kind of fibre we humans tend to eat. Brown rice is actually harder to digest for dogs, so it's better to use rice bran, if you can get hold of it. This is also a fermentable fibre (more about that in my article), so very good for kidney disease. A little cooked chopped cabbage in the diet will also help deal with any stomach ulcers (common with CKF dogs) - and helps to prevent them forming.

Hope that helps.

Tony
I lost my mini dachshund Peabody in March of this year, she was 15 years old, she passed away from renal failure.  She never had any arthritis. I never gave her any nightshade vegetables. These include tomatoes, white potatoes, peppers and capsicums, and eggplant. These vegetables produce Glycoalkaloids, a natural pesticide produced by nightshade vegetables. These are not good for arthiritis, and even cause acid reflux. I tried to give her everything that I could that was pretty pure. I am not going over anyones head but it might have been why she did not get arthiritis. So we know that a pesticide is poison, Solanine is the bad stuff in nightshades. Sweet potatoes are not part of the nightshade group. Even if it would take a lot of say tomatoes to bother their joints, I don't think it is worth it in the long run.
Hi. As far as I know, tomatoes are fine as long as they are not under-ripe (green) and you don't give them too often. Green tomatoes do contain toxic substances (just like any green parts of standard white potatoes), but not red ripened ones. May need to check up on that, as it's just from memory.

Tony
Hi Tony, Just an update here. We took Flash to the vet on Monday for his toenail clip and decided to go ahead with his blood test. It came back perfect, I know he is young but I needed to know how his calcium and phosphorus were beings I feed him his food with eggshell powder.  So all is well. All the other things were perfect, kidneys, liver, pancreas, I will always get blood tests. I also encourage everyone else to do the same!
Hi, My Peabody also had high lipids(cholesterol) in her blood. Again had I gotten blood tests  all along. I would have caught it and could have done what I needed to do . She could have had some liver and pancreatic problems too. But my vet said she does not check cholesterol in dogs. But none of this makes any sense, lipids show up in a blood test, we got the whole blood test for Flash, my vets and the one she sends out. Do they not tell you when they get the results back, or I suppose as usual you have to ask! So as I said before BLOOD TESTS AND RESEARCH!
Hi. That's good news about Flash. One of the big problems about testing for cholesterol and properly diagnosing high lipids is the fact that many owners don't realise how eating can manipulate the blood results. Dogs really need to be fasted for 12 hours before the test, otherwise any food taken during that time will raise the lipids count. Vets will commonly only undertake a test when they are absolutely certain the owner has not fed their dog. They will often do a test while the dog is being supervised at the vets (detained for 12 hours), but otherwise many believe it just isn't reliable, given the way owners "give in" to feeding their dog something, even a small treat.

Tony
Dear Tony

i am writing in utter desperation i live in the uk and a week ago me dog was
diagnosed with Kidney failure within one week he has gone completely down hill barely eating lost 1.5 kilo in weight he sleeps all the time and wants to be with me constantly he started bleeding form his mouth three days ago the vet  diagnosed Lung worm and they have treated him on the back of the neck and oral sachets every day. He had grey gums and they were bleeding and full of puss. He is a 15 year old Jack Russsel who until a week ago was still walking and happy and eating the vet has suggested euthanazing him but he is still so alert he is still trying to follow me and wont take his eyes of me I can't stop crying and dont want him to suffer please help. He can't eat because his mouth is so sore he is anaemic thanks so much. Fiona
Hi Fiona,  I know exactly how you feel. I lost my mini dachshund march 20 of this year, she had kidney failure and was 15 years old. She stopped eating a week before she passed away, and quit walking 2 days before she passed away. I was able for a few days to spoon feed her some chicken broth, then she would not eat anymore. I could not euthanize her, it is against GOD. So all we could do was make her comfortable with fluids from the vet and cerina for vomiting everyday. My vet said she was not in pain but I don't know if that was true, other wise I would have given her some pain medicine. Vets make me mad because they don't tell you everything that is going on with your pet and how to help them. If she did have mouth alcers she told me to get some Pepcid which only helps the symptoms. So I researched and got some sucraflate which also helps heal them. I knew she was passing away, she was laying on my bed when she passed. I would just make him as comfortable as you could and hold him. See if you could get him fluids every day and something for vomiting if he is  doing that. The fluids are placed under the skin by your vet, and a shot of cerina. I know it is very bad, I still cry. Maybe  you could try some chicken broth. They do need a lot of fluids when they have kidney diease. All I have told you was from my experience. I hope I helped you a little. sorrymom  (because I did not get my doxie  blood tests every year to catch kidney  disease )
Hi Fiona. I am so sorry you have received this diagnosis for your best friend. It sounds like there are so many symptoms of different conditions, you must be feeling extremely overwhelmed by it all. Many of the symptoms are associated with kidney disease. But the Lung worm diagnoses is obviously a separate issue and that one needs treating with priority. I see treatment has begun ... how long before this treatment finishes? The reason for asking is, basically the treatment involves a spot-on and sachets of what I assume to be a controlled poison, which will have some adverse impact on the kidney disease. There is no easy way around this, because the lung worm must be eradicated.

Other questions I need to ask are ... has the vet put him on any anti-nausea medication? If not, you need to get this today. It's urgent, and with it your dog may start eating again. Your dog will not want to eat due to the toxin build-up caused by the kidney failure. Just like humans, if they feel sickly, they won't want to eat.

Next, has the vet done any IV Fluids? If not, this should be pursued. Fluids are essential initially, to increase efficient urination and get the toxins flushed out. A course would ordinarily last 3 days and then you could continue undertaking Sub-Q fluid therapy at home. If your vet is reluctant (for whatever reason) then change your vet.

Has the vet given you your dog's blood test levels? If yes, please post them, so I can assess what stage kidney disease this is and how much work there may be to do to get the levels back down to normal. This isn't always possible, but worth trying if the disease has not progressed too far.

Has the vet taken your dog's blood-pressure? If not, this needs doing urgently, otherwise heart conditions can be triggered, sometimes with fatal results. Many dogs with kidney failure also have high blood pressure. High blood pressure causes a rapid deterioration in the kidney disease, so it needs to be treated as a priority.

Has the vet advised you to start a kidney specific diet for your dog? If not, start this today. You can buy tinned (not dry) kidney diets for dogs with kidney disease. You might eventually move to a homemade diet, but tinned is fine for now, just to start the process. Introduce the diet change gradually, otherwise there will be some upset digestion.

And finally, join our special group ... the Chronic Kidney Failure in Dogs User Group ... here on MedHelp. Just search for it in the search bar at the top of the page.

Also, have a read about diet and canine kidney disease in my article, which you can access here:

You will also find various additional articles written by me about canine kidney disease at my website ... www.tonyboothwriter.com

Okay, that's probably enough for now. None of these interventions may work ... but if you want to try, then we can try. In the end, you know your dog better than anyone else. The time to "call it a day" is when you and your dog say "enough is enough". I hope that point has not been reached yet and I hope these and other measures we can talk about later will help keep your dog with you for as long as possible. Kidney disease is not curable, but management of it can prolong life and help vastly improve quality of life.

Regards

Tony

Rocky my little old man of 14 years passed away yesterday morning. I dreaded the thought of having to make the decision to put him down. He made the decision for me yesterday morning.

It was about 2 am when he walked into my bathroom (where he waits for me when I leave the house). It was late and was making a bed for myself and Rocky on the couch, my other two chihuahua mix dogs stayed with us until his last attack, I went looking for him and saw him having what appeared to be a heart attack. He collapsed, fell, went into what looked like a seizure and took his last breaths while I stoked his head and body softly and told him I loved him and it was ok for him to go. He lasted twenty more minutes in total.  I silently prayed my other dogs which had passed on we're there to greet him in the afterlife.

This has been one of the most difficult things for me to do, while I have nursed a mother who died of ovarian cancer, a father who died of bone cancer and a husband who now has an ocular melanoma, nursed my dog Capone who had an inoperable brain tumor and died from seizures at the age of three. Nursing Rocky I must say really tore at my heartstrings, I saw him grow from a tiny rat terrier barely weighing a single pound to watching my little Rocky deteriorate before my eyes and finally die while I stoked his head and told him I loved him. This is so FREAKING hard to endure, tears still come to me out of no where. Going into my bathroom is kind of heart wrenching now.

There was not a whimper, no cries, just utter silence and the sound of rockys breath going from raspy and quick to barely there and then silent.

I now see how important it is is to watch their blood work, his bun and creative levels were elevated. It is important to brush tiny dogs teeth weekly, twice a week or more. Rocky bit me many times, I think it must keep bacteria from entering the blood stream, also he had broke teeth and had regular cleaning except for last two years as the vet did not think he could successfully put him under without severe consequences. I had him on salmon oil and exclusively on rice bran, low sodium chicken broth, and a little fage plain yogurt, mixed with his science diet kidney canned food. He did enjoy his carrot sticks and a teaspoon or two of frosty paws at the end as he started refusing food the last day but loved the crunch of the carrots and the creaminess of the cool treat and a little honey and drops of water at the end.

I had to watch him constantly as he was easily confused by the ravages of this disease. I would go get him the yard quite often. He wore a belly band as he urinated in place where ever he was, accidents were frequent. He needed to urinate at night three sometimes four times.

Last night he was barely able to walk without assistance, I wound up carrying him everywhere. He was hallucinating at the end -- I think he was seeing things.

The new vet confirmed my thoughts, he is being cremated and will be brought home. I wanted quality of life for him, while I hated the thought of him getting stuck by needles every two months two years ago, I now see that the lack of blood tests and change of vets left me in the dark and him in a precarious situation. I learned a lot from you all, thank you for your support.

I will keep up with you all, just know, these last few weeks have been difficult as Rocky took a dive downward, had a few mild ten or fifteen second tremors and fell twice and before the end. Enilapril did not really seem to help.

Now to catch up with my life and some much needed sleep.
Hi. I am so sorry to hear about Rocky. I have to say, I think you did everything you could do, for all the right reasons and in the right way. Rocky was not a young man, and actually quite old for a dog, as you know. None of our dogs live as long as we would like, it's just the way things are. In the end, I think you should be reassured that you gave Rocky a great life, full of love, care and attention. If he could, Rocky would say a huge thank you to you. He was lucky to have you as his mom - and you were lucky to have shared his life with him.

It sounds like you've had a really tough time (and still are), so do take some time out for yourself, if you can.

Run free Rocky.

Kindest regards

Tony
I know just how you feel. It is so awful and sad! My Peabody passed away at home too. I felt so lonely and nothing was right, it was like having something and then it was taken away and you will never get it back again. I am still very sad after 4 months. I did give her to the LORD to take care of her before she passed away, and 10 minutes later she had passed away, I wanted her to be with the LORD.  Let me tell you what happened after she passed away. We buried her in my flower garden between 2 lilac bushes. I was sitting in my front room and all of a sudden I smelled lilacs it was very strong! I had no lilacs in my house. Then I was folding clothes at my dinning room table and all of a sudden I heard these beautiful chimes and it was so loud I had to cover my ears, it just bounced off of the walls. Then I looked at the clock and it was 6:30pm, the same time my Peabody passed away. I have a tablet that I write down everything that happen in the house. These two things were the most promineint things that happened. Believe it or not if I don't hear from her for a few days I will call her by name and ask where are you I haven't heard from you for a while. We have heard little barks, felt her fur rub against our bare leg, smelled her, heard her scratching on the door, heard her snoring on  her bed. Little lights on the floor.
We did get another rescue dachshund his name is Flash. He will never take Peabody's place but he sure helps. He is a sweetie. And we have already started blood tests on him, they came out perfect, of course he is only 2 years old. Let me tell you this. One day I was sitting on my bed and Flash was sitting next to me. Down on the floor by my bed was Peabody's / Flash's bed. He was staring at the bed and all of a sudden he started turning his head as if he was watching something walking off of the bed and through the room. When we go shopping Flash stays in our bedroom but he will not sleep on Peabody's bed, we have a ramp for our bed for Flash to get on our bed. When we are home he has no problem sleeping on Peabody's bed, I video taped this while we were gone, that is how I know. I hope this helps you, I am not a crazy I just love my Peabody with all my heart and I also love Flash with all my heart. God knows how much you love Rocky and miss him. I love being connected with the LORD, He gives me HOPE that I will be with my little Doxies some day. All these little things that happen make me feel good, but I am still afraid of the day coming and these little things stop. Go through this your way. I also go to other dog sites on the internet and read and sometimes donate in memory of my Peabody. I have a container that holds every thing of Peabody's from books to notes, pictures, bath soap, eardrops, little pads I used for her ears, her picture on my internet screen, a memorial I wrote and framed for her, it all helps. And once a week I buy a bouquet of flowers for her grave. The blanket she passed away on is always under my pillow and the  container with her things in it is not put away, it is in my bedroom. I just do not want to loose that connection with her that's why I do all these things.   And you will cry a little or a lot. I am so sorry (now I am crying) Now I am going to go cuddle Flash.                  Much love
First of all, I wanted to express my thanks to TonyB286 and sorry mom for advice and help while going through this with Rocky. It has been a long ordeal and I am grateful as this helped make Rocky more comfortable in his last months and weeks of his life. I thought at time the little man times would not make it through the night, but he kept on going. I put his life in the hands of the Lord and asked for assistance in helping me to deal with my dying dog. I was in denial of how bad he was doing, the little man kept on going and going. He went for a walk the morning before he passed away, he made the entire 1/4 mile, his legs were having trouble in the evening making it up a half inch rise from the deck to the back door. He had tremors, threw up and had a couple of instances where he fell beforehand. He ate lightly for next 24 hours, I carried him everywhere as he declined. I was shocked to see him walk to my bathroom the night he died, I was lucky to have walked in just as he seized and collapsed. It was all over after that.

The new vet was out of town on vacation when Rocky had his first ten second seizure, and had not returned until yesterday. I had to call a vet in a small city nearby to help me cremate him. I am getting back to normal. My two dogs miss him, they will not eat on his food pad, seem to think they see him in the curtains where he used to lir down. He is in my hearts and I will never forget my little man. I found a dog in kidney failure and donated his kidney food to the dog and his belly bands (Rocky was incontinent) to the dog in hospice. He had so many clothing items which My husband and I can't seem to get rid of as we travel up to the mountains. I must get back to my two other dogs, they are mourning in their own way, depressed and looking for the little old man, needing more attention which I must answer as we all heal and bond closer now.

thanks again for all your help!
Hi. Although we never truly get over the loss of our dogs, time does ease things. It also helps to have others in the family that depend on you, so of course, your other two dogs now need your attention more than ever before. Dogs don't necessarily grieve like we humans, but they do get depressed and anxious and it takes a few weeks for them to get used to things. They also respond to our emotional states, so the more upset we are, the more upset and anxious they become.

Rocky did really well, thanks to you and your love and support. I hope you start to feel better soon.

Tony
Hi,  You are very welcome, I am glad I could help. I am so happy you put   Rocky in the LORD's hands, their is no better place to put your little man. Even though the LORD is no respecter of persons it is your faith that counts, and I know he heard you. I still talk to the LORD about my Peabody. I have another dachshund, we got him at a rescue, now I have a little man too, I had ( still do in my heart) have a little girl. I do call him my little man though his name is flash. I read that you have 2 other dogs and they will help you a lot although you will never forget Rocky. I bought a memorial ornament it says "Those we love don't go away, they walk beside us everyday. Unseen, unheard, but always near. Still loved, still missed and forever dear" Isn't that nice, I love it. On the back is engraved  IN MEMORY OF PEABODY. Of course I would rather have my Peabody but my husband reminds me we all pass away, but it seems sad that they do not live as long as we would want them too. After I got Flash my younger son said " your going to go through this again"?  But I was so lonely and missed my Peabody so much I needed to fill that horrible void. I told my son that Flash needed a forever home and he came to live with us. I think he is happy. He is only 2 yrs old and he keeps me busy!
And I read a lot of amazing things about dogs. Their sense of smell is 10,000 times stronger than ours how about that? I also think they can sense things that we can't, like your 2 dogs not eating on Rocky's mat and them seeing something where Rocky used to lay. Flash has showed some unusual things to. He looks on Peabody's/Flash's bed and followed something that was walking away from the bed, they are very sensitive to that too. I don't do anything I just observe and leave it up to the Lord, if he wants me to know something HE will let me know, (I think it was Peabody) . Again I am so sorry and I am thrilled you gave Rocky to the LORD. ( I could not put her to sleep we made her comfortable) The LORD says do no murder.   Much Love
We put our baby girl to sleep 2 weeks ago and I'm still devastated : (
She was a 14 year old shih-tzu - we gave her a good life but I thought we would have more time with her. I was not prepared for how fast she went downhill and wish I would have done more. Her blood test in April showed BUN of 25.4 and Creatinine of 200. She had bouts of diarrea and she was losing weight and energy, but we just chalked it up to old age. Then the last few weeks she really went downhill. She began having seizures and stopped eating. In August, her BUN was 72.6 and Creatinine was 572. At this point she was really not doing well so we put her down. I am just shocked that her kidneys deteriorated that quickly - basically it seems like she went from stage 2 to stage 4 in just a few months. Has anyone else experienced this? I feel so guilty, I wish I did more. We had her on Fortekor and low protein food but i had never heard of other treatments such as Sub-Q fluids, etc until now.  
Hi. I am very sorry for your loss. Actually, the kidney disease would have been going on for very much longer than you knew, as diagnosis is usually only made after the kidneys are mostly destroyed by the disease. Dogs just simply don't show symptoms until close to the end (although earlier detection is possible with both blood results and urinalysis).

So, although the deterioration seems rapid, it's actually usually a steady decline. The last few days can be alarming, because organs start to shut down and most dogs can no longer keep going. I know you feel guilty ... but there's absolutely no reason that you should feel this way. You did everything you could and made the kindest decision at the right time. If she could, she would thank you for all the love, care and attention you gave throughout her life.

Tony
Thanks for your reply and kind words, Tony. Knowing what I know now from doing some research online, I would do monthly blood tests and ask about sub-Q fluids, phosphorous binders, etc. Not sure why the vet didn't suggest that after the inital results in April. Live and learn!
We did have 14 wonderful years with our girl, so I am thankful for that.
Hi. My entire involvement in canine kidney disease on this and other websites came about from losing a dog in exactly the same way. I realised I knew so little about the disease - and things I might have been able to do, I learned about too late. So, this is a learning curve for me too, even after 4 years. We can never know enough about all the things that affect our best friends ... so a good vet is crucial as is our ability to research any diagnosis, once we know what illness has affected our dogs. It's easy with hindsight, but in times of emotional trauma, we can only do whatever we are able to do at the time and often with limited klnowledge.

Don't beat yourself up over it. We are (all of us) only human and we do the best we can.

Tony
I have a 13 year old Schnoodle with these lab results.  Can't keep food down.  Is it close to the end?

Bun 171
Creatine 6.9
phosphorase 12.8

Hi. Those results are very high. The first priority right now is IV fluids given by your vet. This will help get these numbers down. What have you and your vet been doing up to this point? Have you started diet changes? Has the vet checked blood pressure? Has the vet prescribed any medication?

Tony

PS You should join our CANINE KIDNEY FAILURE IN DOGS User Group here on MedHelp. There's lots of good support there.
Thanks for starting this group and sharing the knowledge. Sorry to hear you lost a pup in the same way. Good for you for creating something positive to help others after your experience.

Thanks again for your support.

Rachel
Thank you Rachel.

Tony
Hello everyone,
I am new to the community and need some help with questions regarding my 11 year old chocolate lab "Bailey" and her kidney failure.  
We initially took her to our vet in July because she was always groaning because she was having arthritic pain. Our vet said that she would have to do some blood work first. Bailey was then diagnosed in with a BUN 55 / CREA 3.1 which our vet listed as high.  We were told to put her on the K/D diet which we've done.  At first she wouldn't eat it at all but now it's like she can't get enough food.  She constantly wants to eat and asks like she is starving.  She doesn't seem to be drinking as much water as she used to and still loves to eat ice.  In addition to her insatiable appetite she is constantly shivering now.  She continues to groan all the time but still seems so happy.  I work from home so there is always someone home with her.  I notice that she stumbles sometimes and tries to gag but I haven't actually seen her vomit.
I know we need to take her back to the vet but I'm scared that it will be our last trip.  
After reading many of your posts it sounds like our Bailey isn't at that point yet because she is still eating but her constant hunger makes me feel like she is starving.  We just gave her a can of wet K/D food and she finished it in 14 seconds.  She never used to be like that!  
I'm worried that she is suffering but she still seems so happy!
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Nicole
Hi. The first thing you need to do is get her to the vet and have both bloods and urinalysis tests undertaken. When the results are back, get a copy and post them here. The results will tell you and us what stage of kidney disease Bailey is at. This is very important, because there is different management for different stages of the disease.

You are - in a perverse way - very lucky to have a dog that wants to eat. This disease usually inflicts the opposite response. Labs are typically quite greedy, so maybe it's not as unusual with labs. I would however suggest changing how you feed Bailey. Big meals (as in a full can of kd food) is too much all at once and will produce more stress on the kidneys - because it releases lots of by-products that the kidneys would have to deal with. The best way is to feed small amounts (the total of these small amounts equalling a normal full day's intake for the size and weight of your dog) and feed 4 times a day. These smaller amounts will satisfy Bailey's appetite over the 24hrs and will not stress his kidneys nearly as much.

Shivering is a sign of kidney disease progression. These tremors are linked to neurological damage. You may want to read an article I wrote about it, the link is here: http://www.infobarrel.com/Tremors_and_Shaking_in_Dogs_with_Kidney_Failure

I agree with you, the time has certainly not come yet for any horrible decisions. Bailey has more time with you yet, I'm certain of it.

Tony
Thank you so much.  We will take her to the vet and keep you posted on what we find out.
You are very welcome. I'll wait to hear from you.

Tony
Not sure if you still monitor this thread, but if you do, would you mind telling me how long Vinny lived after this and if you chose to assist in his death or let him go naturally.  I got my dogs bloodwork back today and it is quite similar to Vinny's levels.  My Vet told me he doesn't have long (7-10 days) and I'm wondering what to do and what he will go through in the next week.  Any insight?

Sue
This thread is 8 years old with over 900 responses.  There is very little chance that you will receive an answer from the person you posted to because, while there ARE quite a few regulars who post here, for the most part once the people who ask questions have their answers they move on and do not come back.

It would be much better if you started a new thread for your question and gave us a brief explanation of what is going on and then asked your question.  The trouble with these very old threads is that the Community Leaders really don't monitor them any more, that's why we make posts asking newcomers to PLEASE not tack their questions onto the ends of existing posts, but to start a new thread for their question.  By the time a thread has many, many comments to it like this one we can't even figure out who is asking what of whom.  Please start a new thread.

Ghilly
Hi Tony,

I finally have numbers for you.  We took Bailey to her doctor on 1/8/16 and they were as follows:
100 BUN
5.7 CREA
18 BUN/CREA

The doctor said that she was dehydrated and we decided to give her the SubQ fluids.  We haven't given her any sense because we were trying to see if it made a huge difference.  She seems to be acting the same as usual.  She is still eating and always waiting for food.  She tries to drink water and she still loves to eat ice but I know it isn't enough to flush out the toxins in her body.  I'm new to all of this so I have no idea how often we're supposed to give her the SubQ fluids.  She is starting to heave like she is trying to throw up but nothing comes out (it is so loud when she does it).  She sometimes stumbles when she's walking.  

Any advice is appreciated.  I know she is not well.  I just want her to be comfortable and happy to be with her family while she's still with us.  
Hi. I am very disappointed your vet did not prescribe to you how much SubQ fluids to give. The blood numbers are very high, suggesting quite late stage kidney failure. Did the vet undertake a blood pressure test? If not, that needs to be done. Did the vet ask for a urine sample so specific gravity could be checked? If not, that also needs to be done.

I would suggest 20ml fluid for every kilogram of body weight in one spot - so you could inject 200ml in one go in a 10 kilogram dog. The vet needs to prescribe the amount of fluid. If it is more than the calculation for one spot, you should move to another spot to insert the remaining amount of sub q fluid up to the actual dosage amount.

The other question I have is what type of fluid has been given? The best for kd dogs is usually Lactated Ringers, unless there is a low sodium count in the blood results, in which case saline is preferred.

Tony
I agree with Tony.  SubQ fluids will help so much. I think of it as crude dialysis for my dog who can't get dialysis. The extra fluids help flush some of the toxins out that the kidney can't do anymore. My 15 y.o Shih Tzu was diagnosed with kidney failure 10 months ago.  He weighed 16 lbs at the time.  We started with 100 ml every other day.  For the last 6 months, he has been on 350 ml everyday.  His CREA has ranged from 5-14. 14 was when he was dehydrated. He was back to 6.7 yesterday. Our vet also likes to switch off between Lactated Ringers to Normosol to Sodium Chloride depending on his electrolytes (which shows up on n his bi-weekly blood test). A simple test to chc k if he's dehydrated is to pinch the loose skin on his scruff.  Pinch, lift and twist.  If the skin takes a long time to flatten out, then he's dehydrated.  If it flattens out immediately, he should be hydrated.
     Kudos that Bailey is still eating. My Riley stopped eating 5 days ago but we supplement with Ensure Plus and NutriCal so he gets liquid meals.
     As for vomitting, I found that Metoclopramide works wonders for Riley.  He has also been on Cerenia.  Best of luck BaileyGirlMom!  I know how much we love our kids!
As long as the Dog is still happy. My Springer died on his 10th year due to Renal Failure. 5 Hours before he died, he was running along w/ my other dog in a preserve area board-walk and also went for a swim chasing THE Ball and jumping off some docks into the H2O.  He ran to me in the house wanting to go outside and then was hiding in the bushes. He started ( appear to )  want to vomit. He ate ( I spoon fed him ) 3 hours earlier. I knew when I saw him, he was dying and called my wife to let her know that I was making arrangements to end his life humanely. He died when I was consoling him in his favourite spot on the sloppy-hill in our side yard. my tears speak of all my emotions that  volumes of written & spoken words CANNOT DESCRIBE my passion for Re'Tale. He was a Therapy Dog that gave back to the community and loved life. He drove me .... and that is another story. Re'Tale was appropriately named. He has a story that will always be told and re-told. I will miss him and always love him.  My wife & I would only eat-out @ dog friendly places so we could take our 2 dogs ( Charm- American PitBull / Australian Cattle Dog  - Rescue from age 5 ). Ace & Home Depot's were familiar territory to them as well as customers & employees. The magnitude of all this, is, not many heart felt emotions come around in life, the kind that love brings and when no longer w/ us hurts. Memories & knowing he was happy to the end, makes it all worth while. I want to feel this again, not too soon, but again, It is what makes us human.
Feeling such great empathy for your post. Our Springer is also 10, a kind and good soul and also on his last day or two with this horrible disease. It is such a cruel thief of our wonderful companions. Wishing I knew best practical steps to create his best comfort but these threads don't seem to contain that specific advice. Not ready to euthanize. His sentiments, not mine. This is the worst pergatory. What can I do?
all this after .....a months of meds, daily IV and spoon feeding him. His numbers did improve for a short while, his ultra-sound showed kidney function .....nil.
I am so sorry for your loss. Sometimes kidney function is so poor that battling the disease is nigh impossible. You certainly did all you could. Run free Re'Tale.

Tony
Can anyone please offer some advice.
My 7 year old staffordshire bull terrier was diagnosed with chronic kidney failure late last night and had a reading of creatinine reading of 460.
He was placed on an IV drip through the nigt and that reading has omly dropped to 440. The vet has advised that he may need another night on the drip.

Up until now my dog has been completely fine, he is in great shape, and had a healthy appetitie. The only symptom which caused us to take him the vet was that he suddenly Wet  himself and was breathing very deeply.
The vet when taking his obs said he was completely healthy and they only took a blood test because we was adamant that they run some tests to see what exactly caused it.
For the one night of treatment it has already set us back £800 and it is unlikely we can afford much more for his treatment.
Is it advised that we leave him in the vet to stay on an IV drip? Or would it be better that we spend what time we have left with him at home?
Like i said he was of completely normal health, and showing his usual high energy levels.
I've read online that at stage 4 they do not have much time left, but how long is that? Epecially when he seems so healthy, and i know he will be severely distressed staying in the vet as he has never spent a night in a kennel, and will not eat unless we are present.  
Hi. Ordinarily, when the blood numbers are very bad, it takes 3 or 4 days of IV fluids at the vets to get control of the disease (bringing the numbers down to a moderate rather than a high abnormal level). It is not unusual for good results to follow an initial spike of bad results with IV fluids, so you need to be patient. After the IV fluids have finished, it is important you then begin a 3 to 4 week course of SubQ fluids, which you can administer yourself at home (after a vet has taught you how to do it). This should be with Lactated Ringer solution, unless the blood results suggest another form of fluids.

The vet should also have run a urinalysis to check for culture and sensitivity (to assess if there are any urinary infections), checking also for protein loss and the specific gravity of urine. If they didn't do this, get them to do it.

The vet should also have taken a blood pressure reading. Did they do this? If not, you must get them to do it.

Once you have your dog home, you need to start a diet change regime. We can talk about that once you are able to post the test results (make sure you obtain copies).

It's impossible to say how long your dog may have, because only by assessing the blood results and your dog's reaction to the fluid therapy and diet change can anything be determined. With good management and a pro-active approach to treatment and diet, dogs can live a good quality of life for a year or more. Beyond that, it's dependent on how much kidney function remains, whether the deterioration can be stemmed and stabilised and how committed your vet is to monitor and adapt treatments.

It may help to read one of my articles (designed for first time diagnosed dogs) ... you can access it here:

http://www.infobarrel.com/My_10-Point_Plan_for_Dogs_with_Kidney_Failure

Regards

Tony
Thanks for helping Tony,
I have just got my dog from back from the emergency vet centre, where he spent 32 hours on the IV drip, although his creatinine levels did fluctuate, they are still at 452 umol/L. I have been advised to take my dog to my local vet so he can be placed on the IV again, and also to discuss whether it will have any positive effects as it has been unsuccessful so far.
They did not take a blood pressure reading, although dueing initial obs they stated that his HR and pulses were good. And they dis not run a urinalysis as he would not let then catch him urinating.
The blood tests also revealed that he had a low concentratikn of platelets in his blood (4-5 per field) and so suggests that something is going on with his liver also.
They gave him a course of anti-biotics in case their was an infection but there has been no response.
And i have obtained copies of all four blood test results.
I will be taking him to my local vet to see whether they can cater for his needs as the previous vet was only an emergency clinic, hence why the treatment so far has cost so much.

I've just got back from my usual vet, and they have sent him home with me as he looks completely healthy and still weighs the same as 8 months ago.
I have to go back in the morning so he can get more blood tests, and a urinalysis done. I also have some of the Royal Canin Renal food to pick up to begin a better diet for him.
Hi. Okay. They still need  do a blood pressure check. 93% of all kidney failure dogs have high blood pressure - and that seriously compromises the kidneys and causes the kidney disease to worsen very quickly.

It may take a few days for the IV fluids to "kick in", so get back after your vet has completed the course and let me know how things are. Importantly, new blood level checks should be taken to assess whether IVs are doing anything before the treatment is complete.

It may also be worth having renal scan undertaken if your vet can do it, as this will tell you and the vet how much organ tissue remains. If less than 20%, then any treatment is pointless as your dog will not be able to maintain any function after IV fluids. If more than 20%, there's a chance treatment and management of diet will have a more positive outcome.

Tony
My labrador retriever has renal failure and a high level of creatinine. I want to know what SQ fluids should I give him, one vet tells me dextrose, other vet Hartmann, and ringer. Please help me I'm desperate because my dog is weak.
Hi. Much depends on the blood results. If you have them, post them and I can advise better. As a general rule, Lactated Ringers are the better fluids for all kidney failure dogs, because the fluids are better balanced with minerals and electrolytes that mimic the canine body. Dextrose, Hartman, sodium and others are all loaded with minerals of specific types and they can be useful, but only when the blood results show a deficiency of the mineral and/or electrolyte concerned.

Is this acute or chronic renal failure? How old is your dog? Does he have other health conditions? When was he diagnosed? Is he on any medications? Do you know the stage of renal failure? What are you feeding him? What symptoms persist?

Tony
This is exactly what I am going through now.  I am sat here with my baby girl (age 17) and I can't let her go. We have the vets tomorrow and my husband wants us to let her go but I can't.  My kids have also begged me not to.  She's struggling and the legs are starting to go but she's not as bad as some of the other dogs mentioned on here. So so hard.
Hi. So sorry. Is she still with you? If yes, then please can you post her latest blood test results. There may be something I can advise to help, although at 17, time is probably not on her side.

Tony
Hi Tony,
You seem to be very knowledgeable about kidney failure in dogs.  Are you a vet?  Either way, I have been struggling with the same issues.  My 13 year long hair mini doxie was diagnosed a year ago August with kidney failure.  We took her to emergency where they did an ultrasound and bloodwork and determined the kidney failure.  She was treated with fluids, antibiotics, etc.  When we brought her home we did they iv fluids for a while.  She seemed to get better along with kidney food.  In June of this year, we moved.  Both dogs struggled with the change (they are 12 and 13).  I noticed a decline with Pepper the 13 year since the move.  We've treated with fluids.  Her interest in food has declined along with her energy.  I have made 2 appointments to put her down and did not follow through.  I'm torn between letting it happen naturally and not wanting to put her through that.  Our vet has been very cooperative and said not to make an appointment, just come in when your ready.  I just look in her eyes and wait for the sign.  Either I'm blinded by love or she is not giving it to me.  She's having urinary accidents around the house and loose stools outside.  I'm giving her whatever she wants to eat, and now she's even turning that away.  If I could just wrap my head around putting her down with those eyes looking at me, it would be a lot easier.  Obviously, from all these posts, it sounds like there is never the "right" time.  I keep asking her to let me know, and I'm just not getting the sign.  I just don't want to see her suffer.
Hi Tony,
my dog has a high SMDA... no other bad #s. Still seems healthy though drinks a bit much. He is my third dog so I have experienced dog death before but I am so not-looking-forward  to seeing him decline :( He has been, BTW, a very healthy active dog and still is, but I am not sure that this "early knowledge" is that great. Vet says no reason for low protein food and just give him more omega 3s.