Eating Disorders Community
Brother is anorexic..Help!!

This forum is for questions and support regarding Anorexia, Athletes, Binge Eating, Body Image, Bulimia, Causes of Eating Disorders, Dental Issues, Laxative Abuse, Male Eating Disorders, Media Images, Pregnancy, Support Groups, Teens

Brother is anorexic..Help!!

Hi, I was wondering if anyone could help me. My little brother is my everything I'm 24 and he's 20 and our family just discovered he is anorexic. I'm so scared and we don't know what to do. We try to help him but we all go to colleges in different states. My family is in Michigan, I'm in California and he's in New York. We know he is the one who has to want to change to get better. What can we do??
Tags: anorexic
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hi there!
There are no self established causes of anorexia but genetic factors, poor self-esteem, body-image issues and societal pressures are associated with the development of anorexia. If left untreated it can lead to severe anaemia,loss of bone density, digestive abnormalities, electrolyte imbalances, mood swings,depression,lack of energy ,hormonal imbalances and rhythm abnormalities etc.Firstly your brother needs the support of his family and friends to recover from anorexia. You need to convince him that he has an eating problem and he has been suffering physically and emotionally because of this illnesss.Tell him to share his feelings with you and be a good listener to your brother. If he has complications associated with anorexia he may need hospitalization for a day or so. Consult a nutrition expert and he should be started on a healthy nutritious diet that will help him gain an optimum weight for his height and age. Tell him to stay away from people who talk about diet, self-image, losing weight etc.The aim should be to gain 1 to 3 pounds per week. Counseling plays an important role in anorexia. Seek professional help from experts on nutrition. The overall prognosis of anorexia is good if treated on time.
Take care and good luck!