Eating Disorders Community
swollen submandibular gland stones

This forum is for questions and support regarding Anorexia, Athletes, Binge Eating, Body Image, Bulimia, Causes of Eating Disorders, Dental Issues, Laxative Abuse, Male Eating Disorders, Media Images, Pregnancy, Support Groups, Teens

swollen submandibular gland stones

I am from Bangalore, India. I am 26 years old.
I am having a stone in submandibular gland since last 6 months. My throat swells and causes discomfort  whenever I eat any sour or chilly food.
The doctor, I consulted first gave me some anti-biotics (augmentin). When the swelling reduced she told me to operate out the stone. She was prepared to remove the stone on my second visit day. First she pierced a niddle to let all pus out. Then I felt comfortable so I told her not to go for any other operation, though she was insisting to take local-anesthesia and incise the stone out.
I consulted another doctor for getting more sure and he told me that they have to remove the whole submandibular gland it self. But later he gave me (kineto-dp) for 6 days and told me that he will not remove the whole gland and will check for some other way i.e. may be removing the stone.

My problem is that I want to know how critical the operation is? The stone is on the wall of the skin which connects tongue to the floor of mouth. Any kind of injury to that skin means I mayn't be able to speak. Though the stone is small enough, but once after cutting if they find that the stone is positioned critically, will they remove my whole gland. Also how much time will it take to recover from the injury. Are there any post-operation complications?
Hi!
I can understand your concerns. Stones in salivary gland can be massaged out if the surgeon has experience in this and the stone is small and strategically placed. Another technique is endoscopic removal or sialendoscopy. Traditional surgery and gland removal are only required if the gland is damaged or the stone is too big or too awkwardly placed to be removed by \above procedures. The first two procedures result in immediately healing. The traditional stone removal surgery and gland removal can take about a week to 10 days to heal and thereafter too may present with some discomfort. Please discuss with your specialist. Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.