Eye Care Expert Forum
Badly Poked Eye

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Badly Poked Eye

So about 1 hour ago i was running through my neighbors backyard and it was dark out so i did not see a small twig hanging low from a tree. the twig poked me right in the eye. I was wearing a contact lense when it occurred and it immediately fell out after i got poked. my eye hurt for about 25 minutes after. it has now been about an hour and their is blood on the bottom of my eyeball and inside my bottom eyelid. it looks like a usual popped blood vessel however it hurts moderately bad when i look to my left and right corners of my eye. i can see perfectly fine, or atleast the same as i always do without contacts. when i move my eyeball quickly it hurts as well. im starting to get worried as i have never had this happen to me before and i do not know wether to go to an eye doctor or i it will get better if i sleep. its fairly late at night so i would prefer not to have to go to the hospital. another thing before i go is when i close the eye for more then say 20-30 seconds teas roll out of the corner of it. it is my right eye. thank you and because i am somewhat worried about it a quick response woud be grealy appreciated. thanks so much and i hope you have some positive feedback and advice for me.
Dear djoday,

I would recommend that you seek the care of an eyeMD to have your eyes checked and determine what damage, if any occurred.

Dr. Feldman

Sandy T. Feldman, M.D., M.S.
ClearView Eye and Laser Medical Center
San Diego, California