Eye Care Expert Forum
Black flashes

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Black flashes

I am on vacation and within the past hour I noticed what I identify as a black line flash intermittently in my right eye. This has never happened before. I am being followed for an injury to my neck and upper right back and will have an MRI next week for that as I still have pain in the right scapular area and tingling in the right hand. I am wondering if this flashing in the right eye would have any relevance to this or possibly something else. I do have hypertension and my Mother had floaters. Thank you for any information you may be able to supply to me.
Patrice
Tags: flashes, eyes
Sounds like at vitreous detachment at the very least - or possibly a retinal tear or retinal detachment.  As always with these symptoms, I ask the patient to see an ophthalmologist within a day or so to have a complete dilated retinal  examination.  Vitreous detachment is a Very common diagnosis - but absolutely need retinal exam to rule out a tear or detachment.

MJK MD