Eye Care Expert Forum
Blocked Tear Glands

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Blocked Tear Glands
I am 63 yrs old and I had a Cattarh operation in my left eye about 2 years ago. After that my vision got blurred on that eye, Doctors say the implant has nothing to do with the blurred vision, and it is that my tear glands are blocked. I was told to keep on adding a drop of Refresh Tears to my eye every little while. But this did not help. Now my right eye has the same problem and Doctors have adviced me to add a drop of Systane lubricant Eye Drops twice daily and inbetween keep adding a drop of Refresh Tears. This still has not solved my problem. Please Advice me if there is anything I could do.
Dear Genemarz,

I would continue to seek the care of an eyeMD to determine the cause of your blurred vision and the dryness.  They will be able to assist in determining the cause and advise the best treatment. There are a number of options including Restasis, and over the counter lubricants without preservatives often help.  Sometimes, occluding one’s punctual plug is beneficial as well as it reduces the outflow of tears from the eye.

Dr. Feldman

Sandy T. Feldman, M.D., M.S.
ClearView Eye and Laser Medical Center
San Diego, California