Eye Care Expert Forum
Brown spot on sclera?

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Brown spot on sclera?
I have this brown spot on the sclera of my eye. It is quite sizeable and makes me extremely self-conscious. I avoid eye contact whenever I can. I believe I've had this all my life, but it seems to have gotten deeper in colour, thus more noticeable.What may have caused this, is it harmful, and is there anything I can do to remove it? I visit an ophthalmologist every year or so for an ongoing eye condition, but he has never seemed concerned about this spot, and I haven't expressed my concerns to him either thus far. I am planning to do so on my next visit, but your opinions please!
In general, if things don't grow or change, they are benign. Hopefully your doctor has been documenting the size and color.

Often, these can be removed, but I usually don't recommend it unless there is a problem such as discomfort or a change in size/color.