Eye Care Expert Forum
Dizziness with eye sensitivity

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Dizziness with eye sensitivity

For over 20 years I have had a problem where I get dizzy when I lie down and most often and severe if, for example, I lie down under my car to change the oil and I have to look at things closely.  If I close my eyes for a few seconds the feeling goes away and I can finish my work without a problem.  But several times over the last year something new has happened.  While working at my computer my eyes get so sensitive to the light of the screen that I cannot see anything on the computer and if I look at anything else I can't see it if it within 5 feet or so.  It's as if I had been looking at a bright light and then try to look at something before my eyes have readjusted.  Only problem is it takes several hours for my eyes to readjust.
make sure you see an ophthalmologist for a complete exam.  You might need reading glasses and maybe even bifocals.  It is important in a situation like this to start at the beginning and look at the entire eye to make sure there are no serious problems.  You may also need to be evaluated for vertigo since you have positional dizziness problems.

Michael Kutryb, MD