Eye Care Expert Forum
Dry and puffy red eye one year after cataract surgery

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

I had cataract surgery over a year ago. My eyesight is very good, but not long after the surgery I developed scratchy and itchy eyes. My eyelids became red and puffy. I went back to my ophthalmologist and he told me it was blepharitis,  and later told me it was meibomian gland disorder. I have followed all the procedures for these problems such as using heating and drops with no results. I have used Restasis with no results. Is there anything else I can do? Is it possible that I have allergy to the implanted lens? My doctor is reluctant to see me and tells me that it is age-related. I had no problem until I had the surgery. I have read that castor oil may be helpful. I have tried it. It is better than nothing, but still when I wake up in the morning my eyelids are stuck together and it takes about a minute and massage before I can open my eyes. If I try to forcefully open my eyes, It feels that a layer id peeled off of my eye. Mostly it is the eye that has has the surgery. I appreciate any help you can give me.
This is not from the implanted lens.  Go see a cornea specialist and see what they recommend.  There are multiple prescription meds that may help.

HV