Eye Care Expert Forum
Eye blood clot

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Eye blood clot
I suddenly developed a blind spot in my right eye.  I was not injured and am an otherwise healthy 40 year old.   I went to my eye doctor who discovered a blood clot while doing a fluorescin angiography.    I immediately went to the hospital at his recommendation.  They kept me for part of 3 days.  They ran an MRI, MRA, ultrasound of carotid artery and lower legs, echocargiograms, etc.     They could not find any clots or any other issues on any tests.   I was sent home and told to take 81 mg aspirins daily.    I am happy that nothing was found but also don't like the feeling of not knowing why this appeared suddenly, if it may happen again and what I can do to get rid of the eye clot.  Any advise?

Sometimes things just happen - but usually with things like this there may be a history of hypertension, smoking, high cholesterol, high stress, diabetes, family history of vascular disease.  I think it would be important to rule out a clotting disorder - some of which are obscure and need a hematology specialist to even know the right tests to find it.

MJK MD