Eye Care Expert Forum
Eye injury- serious

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Eye injury- serious

My daughter was recently outside playing with her brother. When they were throwing the ball back and forth, it hit my daughter in her left eye. When I examined it, I noticed, one blood vessel popped. She is complaining that whenever she looks up at something closely it hurts and she had an awful headache the day she was accidentally hit with the ball. For the first 20 hours, I had her ice it and rest. The swelling has gone down tremendously and the bruise has completely gone. However, her eye is still very pink and she says it still hurts to look at things closely. The blood vessel that popped in her eye is getting much smaller and is almost gone.

Please tell me any home remedies I can use to treat the redness of her eye.

Your response is greatly appreciated.
Thank you for your time and effort.

The popped blood vessel is not as concerning as the headache and eye pain since the latter could suggest an elevation in her eye pressure which would need the attention of an ophthalmologist since a blunt trauma injury can potentially cause bleeding or inflammation inside the eye which requires treatment other than home remedies.  I would have her see an ophthalmologist soon at least to exclude this possibility which could potentially result in irreversible vision loss.