Eye Care Expert Forum
Eyelid blisters lead to eye damage?

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Eyelid blisters lead to eye damage?
Six weeks ago I had a fever.  Three days after the fever I usually get a blister on my lip, but this time the blisters appeared all around my left eyelid. My eye continued to bother me for about three weeks with nighttime "weeping" and crusting, itchiness, blurred vision that would come and go, and persistent feelings of like I had something in my eye when there wasn't anything there. My doctor prescribed me antibiotic ointment.  After all the symptoms subsided I still felt as though I had "snot" coating my eye, but nothing is there.  Vision out of that eye is now slightly blurry whereas the right side did not change. It is especially noticeable at night with lights, with a halo of light that radiates to the right, between 12 and 4 o'clock positions, and has a distinctive pattern. If I have trouble reading something I simply close my left (blurry) eye and my right eye will show it clearly.  Did my eye get permanently damaged? Can this be corrected somehow?

Dear Angelasundara,

I would recommend that you seek the care of an eyeMD to determine whether the infection may have caused corneal changes.  

Dr. Feldman

Sandy T. Feldman, M.D., M.S.
ClearView Eye and Laser Medical Center
San Diego, California