Eye Care Expert Forum
Eyes roll up in head & then blinking

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Eyes roll up in head & then blinking
is 6 and I noticed for no reason at all her eyes would roll up in her head (towards her right) for just a second and then she blinks a couple of times and she's fine.  Then she will blink off and on a few minutes.  A bit later she will do this again anywhere from 10 mintes to an hour or so later.  If you aren't watching her eyes closely you will think she is only blinking.  But her eyes are definitely involuntarily going to the back.  You'll see nothing but white for just a quick second.  

My first thought was a seizure of some type.  
After asking her about her eyes she said that her eyes don't hurt but they feel dry.  
She has had light headaches at her forhead and her eyes.

This has been going on about 3 weeks.
Since this is something new, it is important to have this checked out. I would start with a visit to a pediatric ophthalmologist or a general ophthalmologist (MD Eye Physician) with an interest in pediatrics.

There is a reflex called the Bell's Reflex in which when some people blink or squeeze their eye's shut the eye moves up and out. This is a reflex that helps protect the delicate cornea. Hopefully it will be something like this.

It is imporant not to ascribe this to Bell's Reflex without an ophthalmologist looking at it.

Hope it turns out okay.

JCH MD
Hello, our daughter has been doing the same thing for a while now, she is 14 months old.  It turns out that I found a forum in which a lot of parents are stating their children are doing the same thing and that many are worried. I video taped it and found that most doctors are concerned. I've been going to many doctors about this.  You can read for yourself here on the Yahoo Forums:

http://messages.yahoo.com/Family_&_Home/Parenting/Parenting_Babies_and_Toddlers/threadview?m=tm&bn=18060289&tid=1067&mid=1101&tof=4&frt=2
A related discussion, always blinking ayes was started.
A related discussion, eye rolling and blinking at the same time was started.