Eye Care Expert Forum
Flickering / distortion in peripheral vision after RLE surgery

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

I have read dozens of posts regarding the distortion of vision in periphery after cataract or RLE surgery. For me it is like walking around looking through a camera and the camera is bouncing around. Or perhaps the distortion one sees when you drop a pebble into a still pond, but only for a tenth second or less, and mostly under bright lights. In my case, it is only visible in the lower right quadrant (right eye received nanoFlex IOL - Refractive Lens Exchange). I had the surgery 4 days ago.

This is not really a question but an information post for anyone curious. I discovered today that if I cover my untreated eye, that I can not detect the weird flickering / distortion at all. In direct sunlight, or anywhere else, both eyes open it is clearly noticeable and covering the good eye, I cannot detect it at all. My thinking is this is some sort of synchronization thing with the brain, that the two eyes are slightly out of sync and this will go away at some point. I've not read or found anyone else that has tried this or mentioned it.
I am not familiar with the Nanoflex IOL.  Many of the visual symptoms with multifocal implants do resolve with time, as the brain adapts to the new vision.  Give it some more time but if you are not happy, see your surgeon or seek out a second opinion.