Eye Care Expert Forum
Freckle on Retina

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Freckle on Retina

I am 25 years old, and was told 2 days ago by the doctor that I have a freckle on my retina.  I thought nothing of it, because she said it wasn't anything to worry about.  When i got home I did some research and found an article that was published in the Washington Post early last month.  It talked about an association between freckles on the retina and colon cancer.  It worried me because I already have been having issues with constipation, etc.  And there is a major history of colon cancer in my family.  

I know that I am pretty young for a colonoscopy.  But I'm wondering what everyone's thoughts are on whether or not I should have one done...?
  • Eye Health (1 replies):
    5 years ago a very large CHRPE was found in my right eye...[more]
  • CHRPE (6 replies):
    When we found out my son had CHRPE we were told to see a...[more]
  • CHRPE (1 replies):
    2/22/09 I was told I had a CHRPE in my left eye. I we...[more]
  • Chrps (2 replies):
    What is the incidence of colon cancer and what other iss...[more]
The only correlation is with people that have multiple of these "freckles" in the their retinal exam.  Just one is very common and simply needs to be monitored to make sure it is not growing (6-12 month exams and photos taken usually).  Talk to your doctor about your GI issues but don't worry about any connection to the eye finding.

HV