Eye Care Expert Forum
Granuloma
About This Forum:

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Granuloma

I had pinguecula removal surgery using the amniotic membrane graft technique with fibrin glue on the medial side of both eyes about a month and a half ago from Dr. Gulani. My eyes are more white than they were before, but now I have Granuloma (granulation tissue) poking out in both my eyes. My doctor said this happens in 3% of his patients...Just my luck.  So I am back on steroid drops to try and shrink the granuloma. I know that being on steroid dops for a long time can cause Glaucoma. I also know that if I get it removed, it could grow back... Is there any hope for me? What are my options?
Tags: Granuloma, granulation tissue, pinguecula, pterygium
1735584_tn?1311113373
The steroid drops or a steroid injection would be the initial therapy to treat the granuloma.  As long as you are getting your eye pressure checked periodically and it is maintained in the normal range, glaucoma is not an issue.  If the pressure is high, additional pressure-lowering medication can be added while you are still on the steroid drops.  Glaucoma only occurs if your eye pressure is above normal for a prolonged period of time so the steroid drop itself doesn't cause glaucoma, only its side effect of high pressure if you happen to be a steroid responder.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
233488_tn?1310696703
John C Hagan III, MD, FACS, FAAOBlank
Discover Vision Centers of Kansas City
Kansas City, MO
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now