Eye Care Expert Forum
Gray Floater/Blurred Vision

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Gray Floater/Blurred Vision
About 4 weeks ago I experienced a sharp pain with tearing sensation in my right eye. For about 2 weeks after that I had flashing,black "marks" appearing off & on in same eye.  This has been followed by a constant gray cloud dangling down the middle of my eye.  My eye has started having muscle spasms and closing on its own. My vision is very blurry in my right eye and is causing great eye strain on the left eye.  The opthamologist said it could go away or my "brain" will ignore it.....it is not happening.  This is driving me to distraction.  What can be done about this?  Are the muscle spasms related?  My vision in this eye has been double at times.  Thank you for your time and consideration.  
Dear peggysue10,

I would recommend that you go back to your eyeMD immediately.  A recent onset of floaters and blurred vision especially the “gray cloud dangling down in the middle of the eye” can represent a serious ocular condition, such as retinal detachment.  

Dr. Feldman

Sandy T. Feldman, M.D., M.S.
ClearView Eye and Laser Medical Center
San Diego, California