Eye Care Expert Forum
Im confused

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Im confused
Hi my name is Joshua I am 17 years old..I am legally blind in my left eye i been like this since i was 2 years old. What can I do to correct this problem?  Thank you very much
Dear cyro808,

The best option is to seek the care of an eyeMD specializing in neuro-ophthalmology and/or retina who is familiar with your diagnosis.  Depending on your condition, there may be treatments. For example, recent studies have shown that gene therapy treatments of a condition known as Leber’s congenital amaurosis may enable children to regain enough visual function to navigate an obstacle course.

Dr. Feldman

Sandy T. Feldman, M.D., M.S.
ClearView Eye and Laser Medical Center
San Diego, California