Eye Care Expert Forum
Loss of eyesight in one eye due to tumor

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

I lost sight in my right eye as a result of a removal of a large tumor in January that was wrapped around my optic nerve. Sight out of this eye is totally gone; totally black.  When I close this eye I can see very well out of my left eye (with my glasses).  However, when I open this eye it interferes with my eyesight in my left eye and I cannot see clearly.  I am seeing some black out of my right eye and it appears I can sorta see, but I really cannot.  Will this go away in time? Is there anything I can do about it?  Again, if I close my blind eye, I can see very clear, but when I open it, eventhough I am completely blind, I can not see as well out of my good eye.
Dear Stacy597,

It might be possible that you still have some peripheral vision that is causing the issues with your perception.  Overtime, it is likely that you will adjust; however, I would advise that you speak with your eyeMD’s to obtain answers from someone that knows your eyes.

Dr. Feldman

Sandy T. Feldman, M.D., M.S.
ClearView Eye and Laser Medical Center
San Diego, California