Eye Care Expert Forum
Photophobia temporary or permanent?

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Photophobia temporary or permanent?

Hi - I got hit in the ball while playing racquet ball 6 days ago. The following day I seeked medical advice and was given: maxidex drops, homatropine drops and chlorig drops. Ever since I have dilated pupils and have been very sensitive to light [which i think is photophobia]. I think it has slightly improved. Is it normal after an injury to the eye to still have light sensitivity? Today the dr told me to only continue with maxidex. I am concerned that this sensitivity to light will be permanent. From the information I have given you and your experience what do you think is the chance of this being temporary? I will be seeing the dr again in 10 days but am very concerned. Regards
Anthony
Both the trauma, and subsequent brusing (iritis) and bleeding (hyphema) and the dilation from the homatropine drops can cause sensitivity to light. The sensitivity to light should diminish as your condition gets better and the dilation drops can be stopped. Sometimes there is a damage to the iris and the pupil does not constrict well after your injury. Only time will tell. Discuss your concerns with your eye MD

AND ALWAYS WEAR EYE PROTECTION FOR RACQUET SPORTS

jch md