Eye Care Expert Forum
Re: Vitrectomy Risks

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Re: Vitrectomy Risks
Posted By Jimmy on May 22, 1999 at 23:31:39
I'm a 43 year old male, I have a "Macular Pucker" in my right eye. I would like to know the pros and cons of having an "Vitrectomy". (What is the percentage of the cons.)

Posted By HFHS MD - NI on May 23, 1999 at 08:45:08
Jimmy,
The only person who can discuss the risks benefits and alternatives in your specific case is your surgeon.
Vitrectomy and membrane peeling can remove the macular pucker and possibly improve your vision.  Many people also note a reduction in distortion.
Any from of eye surgery has associated risks including bleeding, infection and retinal detachment.  All 3 of these risks are relatively uncommon but vary depending upon the particular patient and surgeon.  Other less common risks can also occur.
You should ask your surgeon what the success rate and complication rates are in your doctors hands.
This information is provided for educational purposes only.  Please consult your physician for diagnostic and treatment options.
Sincerely,
HFHS MD - NI

Follow Ups: