Eye Care Expert Forum
Red Mark On Toddler's Eye Won't Go Away

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Red Mark On Toddler's Eye Won't Go Away

We noticed a red mark on my child's eye over a year ago (at the time she was 18 months) and at first thought it was an injury from a sippy cup straw. It has never gone away and has even grown a little. We have taken her to a pediatric opthamologist but he doesn't know what it is (just wants us to check in every few months to see if it changes). We are currently waiting to see another dr in a couple of months. It is on the white part of her eye under the iris. It is somewhat linear and does not appear to be raised. I can't stop worrying about it. Please advise and thank you!!  
Basically it might be some sort of nevus or freckle or perhaps some type of papilloma or other benign growth like a hemangioma of some sort or just an abnormal vessel?  Of course, rarely, some type of cancerous lesion could be present.  If it continues to grow, I suspect that at some point a biopsy might possibly be done.  I cannot make your worrying go away but generally, malignancies are not that common and benign lesion outnumber them greatly.  You just need to keep in touch with the pediatric ophthalmologists and maybe even see a pediatric oculoplastics specialists (who specializes in eye and orbital tumors in children)  Univ of Pennsylania is Philadelphia, Wills Eye Hospital in Philadelphia and Univ of Tenn at Memphis (Dr Barrett Haik) are some excellent centers that I know of personally.

MJK M