Eye Care Expert Forum
Schisis And Schisis Retinal Detachment - What to Do?

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

I am 26 years old and have had flashes in the inside periphery (nose side) of my right eye for about a year. After getting annoyed and sensing the flashes were increasing, I made an appointment with a team of specialist retina consultants in town. I have been diagnosed as having a retinal detachment but a rare one (they said it was a schisis deatchment). I have been back there 4 times in the last two weeks to see if it was getting worse/progressing (one of the partners think it may be a chronic detachment that isn't progressing, and the other thinks it is likely to progress no matter what, so I should schedule surgery but it's no emergency).

On to my questions:

The doctor said he can do a buckle without a vitrectomy but the success will be about 80%, and higher if I do get the vitrectomy; I don't want a vitrectomy because I'd like to avoid a cataract at such a young age.  I also have near perfect uncorrected vision (-.50 in the right eye) and I'm not too excited about the possible risks of getting a scleral buckle (what are the chances of double vision or lazy eye? And how much additional refractive error can I expect?).

I also suggested a pneumatic retinopexy to him. He said the likeliness of this working in my case would be around 50%. My quesiton is should I just do the pneumatic retinopexy and see if it works, as it seems the least invasive?  And if it doesn't, then go on to a buckle without a vitrectomy? I found a case study that seems to favor it in my condition (http://archopht.ama-assn.org/cgi/content/full/118/5/720#FIGECR90122F1).

What are the thoughts of any doctors on this board? Needless to say it's been a very stressful and anxiety ridden two weeks. I'm always concerned of waking up to a rapidly increasing detachment and losing vision. I'd be happy to answer any additional questions if you have any. Thank you all in advance,

Moe
retinoschesis is not the same as a RD. schesis can cause a RD. Not all schesis needs to be treated. I have retinoschesis and its caused no problems in 30 years.

Get a second opinion from another retina group. Find one at www.aao.org

JCH III MD
Did they look at both eyes?
Yes, they looked at both eyes. I DO have a retinal detachment on my right eye, and they classified it as a schisis detachment. Not on my left.

Any suggestions to my original questions? Which method of surgery I should choose?
That can only be based on a first hand exam of your eyes. As I said get a second opinion from a differnt group.

JHC III MD

I would definitely avoid any treatment if possible. Complications can arise. I lost most sight in one eye from complications from vitrectomy, etc.

I am not against surgery if necessary. I had a definite detachment--big time. I would get the second opinion from another group, as the doctor here says.

I hope you are better soon.
-