Eye Care Expert Forum
Scratched eyeball?
About This Forum:

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Scratched eyeball?

The last couple of days my eye feels like it's been scratched. My eye was red and I kept rinsing it with saline to flush any possible foreign particles out.
This morning my eye felt like it popped and all of a sudden the pain and irritation disappeared. Not being a Doctor the best way to describe it is that it felt like some kind of nerve ending exploded. I was a concentrated "explosion".
Today is Sunday so I cannot call my opthamologist and I don't want to go to the hospital for I am feeling fine now. I'm just worried that the "explosion" isn't normal. I'm sure it isn't.
Any advice you can give me would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.
   Jim
Related Discussions
233488_tn?1310696703
Jim, the eye just doesn't 'explode'. There are some things around the eye that might make a 'pop' sound including the tear sac and sinuses. A 'stye' can 'pop'. In any case, as I read your post the pain and irritation have stopped. If that is the case and your vision is good and everything is back to normal, you should be able to wait till tomorrow and call your ophthalmologist's office.

For your information, all ophthalmologists maintain 24 hr/day, 7/day per week answering service and provision for emergency care. If you have a true emergency you should feel free to call the ophthalmologist on call for your Eye MD.

JCH MD Eye Physician & Surgeon
1 Comment
Blank
Thank you for taking the time to respond to my query Dr. Hagan. Great service you are doing for the community.
  Jim
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
233488_tn?1310696703
John C Hagan III, MD, FACS, FAAOBlank
Discover Vision Centers of Kansas City
Kansas City, MO
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker