Eye Care Expert Forum
Shingles around the eye

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Shingles around the eye

I am 27 years old and yesterday went to my Opthalmologist becuase my eye had felt irritated for some time and he noticed a rash around my eye, on my eyebrow and on my forehead.  He said that I have Shingles and prescribed Acyclovir 800mg 5x per day for 7 days.  He also looked at my eye pretty good and told me to come back if it gets red, painful and I have sensitivity to light.  I've looked up HZO and would like to know if it moves to the eye itself, is visual loss certain, even with treatment?  Thank you very much for your help!
No, if you are treated.  However, every case is different and some cases do not respond as well to treatment as others.  You should follow up with your doctor after your treatment is done to make sure there are no problems.

Dr. O.