Eye Care Expert Forum
Stargardt's disease

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Stargardt's disease
My husband is a Stargardt's sufferer of nearly 40 yrs. Can it result in total blindness? Are you aware of any treatments, no matter how radical that he may be able to try? Can you recommend any registered Stargardt's specialists? Thanks
Dear Pinkywhite,

I would recommend that your husband seek the care of a retinal specialist. “The National Neurovision Research Institute and Oxford BioMedica, a gene therapy developer, announced an agreement to collaborate on the production of “StarGen” gene replacement therapy for the treatment of Stargardt’s and other retinal degenerative diseases.”

Dr. Feldman

Sandy T. Feldman, M.D., M.S.
ClearView Eye and Laser Medical Center
San Diego, California