Eye Care Expert Forum
Weeping Eye

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Weeping Eye
After suffering with a cold for a week, my left eye starting weeping (tearing) and actually glues itself shut at night. I get up a couple of times each night and use a warm washcloth but I wonder if it is a problem or related to the cold?
Have you hear the old saying "my cold settled in my eye?"  Many of the viruses that cause colds and many of the bacteria that cause sore throats or sinus infections can get in the eye and cause a conjunctivitis "so called pink eye".  

You should see your family doctor or an ophthalmologist for an evaluation and to get started on antibiotic eye drops.

JCH III MD
A related discussion, weeping eye was started.