Eye Care Expert Forum
blown pupil

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

blown pupil
My nephew has a blown pupil. He is 19 and wont tell us exactly what happened to him. When pressed he said that someone sprayed something in his eye. Is this possible? I thought a blown pupil was from injury, surgery, or drugs. I have never heard of chemicals causing it.  He doesnt live at home anymore and  he wont give us any other info.  The pupil is totally dilated, there is barely any blue left, his eye looks completely black. He refuses to go to the doctor, my sister was able to get him to an optometrist, but they said it was permanent and gave him an eye patch. He went alone so she didnt get any details, he said he couldnt remember half of what the doctor told him. And since this is permanent and he is blind in that eye, I was also wondering if someone could give some info on getting contacts to cover that eye.  He has really beautiful blue eyes, had actually I guess. We are just worried that something more traumatic happened to him. Any suggestions as to what could have happened. Should we be worried about possible brain damage or something?
Dear tak08,

I would definitely recommend that you take him to an eyeMD and also, seek the care of a neurologist immediately if he does not remember things.  It is possible that the pupil is related to an injury or drops or medication; however, if he did indeed have an injury, it could have involved his brain as well.  

Dr. Feldman

Sandy T. Feldman, M.D., M.S.
ClearView Eye and Laser Medical Center
San Diego, California