Eye Care Expert Forum
buried optic nerve drusens in twelve year old

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Two days ago my son who is twelve was diagnosed with buried optic nerve drusens in the both eyes. One small one in each. His visual screening test showed slight sensitivity in his right eye, but normal on the left. His vision gets a little better every year we go for his exam. Also, he has a double stigmatism and without glasses 20/50-right eye, 20/30- left eye, corrected both 20/20. The doctor didn't seem too concerned and in fact told me that this was a good thing that he saw this and this is what he hoped to see, and would see us next year! (optic nerves seemed swollen bilaterally but mild, had an MRI=unremarkable) I know this is rare and of course went right to the internet to research. After doing some research, i found that most of the people who have this and are diagnosed as preteens usually by the end of the teen years have some peripheral vision change/loss. My question is, how likely is this to happen, or is the internet just getting to me? Also, is there anything more that I can do, (drops, holistic, routine) that can slow down the process? Finally, are there any specialists in the country (united states, boston area is a plus) that specialize in Drusen Syndrome for children?  Thank you so much in advance!!
In general there is no specific treatment for disc drusen.  They can cause some loss of optic nerve fibers with loss of vision; in my experience, this is rare.  Your child should be followed by a pediatric ophthalmologist, with visual field testing.  In the Boston area, I would see Dr. Douglan Rhee, who is a glaucoma specialist.  Your son does not have glaucoma, but Dr. Rhee is an optic nerve expert.  Ask him about the use of Alphagan P, which is an eye drop for lowering the pressure in glaucoma, but has neuroprotective properties (at least experimentally).