Eye Care Expert Forum
continues vision loss

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

continues vision loss
I was diagnosed 3  years ago with MS while having bilateral optic neuritis, they also found that I have pseudo tumor cerbri. I had 26 spinal taps last year to relieve pressure to decrease ICP, and currently take 4000 mg of Diamox daily and have not had a tap in more than 6 months. I have also had bilateral optic nerve sheath fenestration done about 1 1/2 years ago which took 3 to six months to regain any vision. I had thought my sight was getting better but slowly over last 6 months it has begun to deteriorate again and they have referred me to the group Commission for the blind, as my last eye exam revealed 20/600 and 20/750 ( I don't have my prescription or I would copy it for you). My peripheral vision is minimal at best and continued visual field is also greatly diminished, the nerve is swollen and very grey and now they believe I also have, keratonconus and an irregular astigmatism. I know it is hard to help with out my chart but is there any recommendations that you could make that might help me regain my sight, such as surgical interventions. Thanks in advance, Amanda
You need to be under the care of a neurologist, neurosurgeon, and neuro-ophthalmologist, preferably at a major medical center.  Additional shunting may be of benefit.  If you are heavy, weight loss is known to help pseudotumor cerebri.