Eye Care Expert Forum
floater and blurred optic nerve

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

floater and blurred optic nerve
my son is 12  right now.  
In 2004 his peditirician noticed a blurred border of his optic nerve they sent him to a specialiest who said his eye was normal and the blurred border was because of his light eye color (blue). Two weeks ago he complained about a hair like object in his left eye so i took him to his eye dr. who dialated his eyes and saw the floater but said it is light in color (she explained that usually they are darker with the time frame i gave her) and because of the past concern with his optic nerve borders,  she would like me to take him to a retina specialist. I have an appt. in two weeks.
  What could be the cause of both conditions together ?
Do i need to worry about a brain tumor or what other probable causes could it be ?
what else should I be looking for or doing until the appt. ?
Dear bibbob,

It is likely that two events are not related.  The doctor is being cautious in sending to you a specialist. I would recommend that you take one step at a time until you know more.

Dr. Feldman

Sandy T. Feldman, M.D., M.S.
ClearView Eye and Laser Medical Center
San Diego, California