Eye Care Expert Forum
relationship between viral conjunctivitis and EKC

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

In June I was diagnosed with viral conjunctivitis and treated wtih Ciprofloxin drops.  The eye did not improve and on the third day after diagnosis I went to a tertiary care center ER with full opthalmic exam and diagnosed as viral conjunctivitis and advised to stop Ciprofloxin and Erthromycin drops two days later I developed a fever of 102 and still no improvment in eye.  Went to PMD who referred to corneal speciaist.  six days out from original diagnosis saw corneal specialist who scraped membrane from eye with diagnosis remaining viral conjunctivitis. Prescribed Tobradex.  Eye started to improve and on return exam 10 days later was advised symptoms remain on cornea, permanent scarring and had EKC.  Questions:
1.  Is viral conjunctivitis the vector for EKC
2.  I am six months out and still have white cells on the cornea, dry painful eye relived by preservative free gel drops.
3.  Have difficulty with glare and driving at nigh since infection, is this permanent?
4.  Minor loss of visual acuity in the affected eye - is this permanent?
5.  Is it possible to have acquired conjunctivitis from sharing office/bathroom of individual with conjuctivitis and I got more severe infection due to taking oral prednisone for auto-immune disorder
6.  Can I get EKC again?
7.  since developing periauriclur node have had painful full feeling in same side ear.  Tympanic memebrane appears normal on multiple exams. very painful at night and only relief is from benedryl.  
I'm sorry that you have had such a difficult time. I'll attempt to answer your questions:
Questions:
Yes, typically adenovirus...several of the serotypes of this virus can lead to EKC and also fevers, soar throat and runny nose

Yes, continue with these drops.

Unfortunately, some of this can be permanent.

This may be permanent, too.

Possible and EKC is community acquired.

6.  Can I get EKC again?
Yes,

Not sure. Have you seen an Otolaryngologist?

Best wishes,
Timothy D. McGarity, M.D.
www.tmcgaritymd.com