Eye Care Expert Forum
torn iris

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

torn iris
About 12 years ago, I had a blunt trauma to my right eye, resulting in a partially torn iris.  The pupil still dilates with changing light, but not synchronously with the left eye, which causes eye soreness.  Is there a surgical option for repairing the torn iris?
It is possible to try to repair iris tears with very fine nylon or prolene sutures.  I cannot say if it is possible in your case or if it would even be any benefit for you.  It all depends on the situation.  I certainly don't think it would help with pain but if the shape of the iris is very abnormal, surgery may be able to reduce glare and possibly increase the visual performance of the eye.  In other words this type of iris repair is usually done to improve the optics of the eye.