Family Health Expert Forum
B12 deficiency + sleep disorder
About This Forum:

Questions in the Family / Internal Medicine forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include general health issues, adolescence, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations and vaccines, infectious diseases, medical tests and procedures, and senior health.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

B12 deficiency + sleep disorder

Hello, one month ago I was given a blood test and my B12 came back >200 and my testosterone came back 120.  My physician prescribed weekly shots of B12 and testosterone and today I am returning after another blood test two days ago, to find out the results.  He said I may need to have permanent B12 shots of some interval, and that it may take up to six months to feel "like my old self."

Problem, the last week, I have been unable to sleep well at night.  I fall asleep for very short periods, ten, fifteen minutes, and wake up.  This lasts every night, all night.  Meanwhile, I'm falling asleep during waking hours, constantly.  Takes five minutes tops, of sitting down, and I fall asleep.  Even standing, I get drousy, dizzy, and have to fight off sleep even and up to feeling my legs going out from under me.

I've missed work three days, when I've been to wobbly to feel safe standing.  

I had severe sleep apnea twenty years ago, and underwent surgery to remove much of my throat...clearing the way to breath better at night.  I've had no problems sleeping since then, and have had sleep studies after the surgery which showed I was sleeping alright.  The tiredness, drousiness and unsteadiness I feel now are a match for how I felt before the sleep apnea surgery.

My question, is can the B12 deficiency cause this?  Frankly, I don't even feel safe driving until this problem is resolved.