Family Health Expert Forum
Bleeding during sex

Questions in the Family / Internal Medicine forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include general health issues, adolescence, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations and vaccines, infectious diseases, medical tests and procedures, and senior health.

Bleeding during sex

I am a 54yr woman who had a hsyterectomy 13 yrs ago. I am in very good shape and physically active. For the last 3 months I have started to bleed during sex. I do not have any pain and there is no problem with lubrication. It's not alot, I just wipe once and it's usually gone. I do not have any bleeding other than that. I have been to the Dr. twice and she says everything is ok. She suggested that I use and estrogen vaginal cream whcih I will start today. Any suggestions?
If the hysterectomy is complete (i.e. cervix was also taken out), that would make the list of possible causes smaller.  

Post-menopausal dryness is the most likely possibility, which should be treated with the estrogen cream.  You may want to exclude various types of vaginal cancer.  This would require a thorough physical exam and inspection.

These options should be discussed with a GYN for further evaluation.  

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
kevinmd_
i reasently had sex and it wasnt my first sexual experience and i bleed a lot, i have used a condom with all my other sexual partners and do with my resent one. what could it be?
i was having sex with my boyfriend, stop to go to the toilet. when i came back we started going again not even 5 mins after staring again i started to bleed this has never happen before. i was sittin on my boyfriend like i always do, there was no pains during sex but after had a couple of pains in the virginal area.

it just seems wired when it has never happened before i have been with my boyfriend for 8months and have used a comdom every time.

can any please answer my question??
I'm 30 yrs. old, with 2 kids 11,8 prior to marriage. I had my tubes tied and burned at 23yrs. 8 years ago. It's been over 7 months of bleeding only intercourse with my husband everytime, I have no pain,a lot of blood some times chuncks of meat or tissue come out even if we have slow gentle sex.  Doctors have done 2 vaginal ultra sounds 2 paps all came back negative no ab pregnacies or infections. It's upsetting and confusing. Now my dr. has put me on birth control pills( orthro tricyclen)he says this may control the bleeding. He says that we will see if this controls the bleeding if not then he'll do a 5 min. vaginal / cervix inspection with a camera deep into my cervix. We aren't as intimate because of the bleeding we don't know what's going on. Is it cancer of the ovaries, tubes, cervix? will I have to get a hystorectomy? can I have my tubes reversed to have a baby for my husband? If so what method can be used ivf or reversal?
Im a 20 year old mother and I have a 3 year old and an I.U.D. Recently me and my boyfriend were having sex and he was fingering me.When he was done there was alot of blood. His fingernails are cut very low and i felt no pain. The bleeding stopped when his sperm came out.
A related discussion, bleeding doing sex was started.