Family Health Expert Forum
Diane

Questions in the Family / Internal Medicine forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include general health issues, adolescence, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations and vaccines, infectious diseases, medical tests and procedures, and senior health.

Diane
I can have a normal bowel movement in the morning.  In the late afternoon, I will find that I have had a diarrhia like discharge or excretion around my anus or in my panties that I have not been aware of -- no cramping or gas.  This has become a more regular occurrence and I am uncomfortable about it.   I have recently had a colonoscopy, and in the past three months have gone through a stool testing  procedure that showed everything to be normal.  What do you think -- too much fiber in my morning cereal -- too much fruit (banana, strawberries, & blueberries) following the cereal?  Something else?
The colonoscopy would exclude colitis and inflammatory bowel disease.  Testing the stool for malabsorption should also be done.  

You can also consider celiac disease, which can be evaluated with a blood test.

If negative, irritable bowel syndrome can be considered.  Treatment options would include increasing fiber in the diet, antispasmodic agents, tricyclic medications or antibiotics like Rifaximin.  

These options can be discussed with your personal physician.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patients education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
www.kevinmd.com