Family Health Expert Forum
Enlarged Lymph Nodes

Questions in the Family / Internal Medicine forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include general health issues, adolescence, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations and vaccines, infectious diseases, medical tests and procedures, and senior health.

Enlarged Lymph Nodes

I am a 59 year old male. During a regular visit to my physician last week  I sked him to give me a chest x-ray.  I had no reason other than I had not had a chest x-ray in several years. His medical assistant called me today and he is requesting that I get a CT scan of my chest. She relayed to me that there was evidence of "some enlargement of nodes in my upper chest" Having said the latter she said that the Doctor was not available to elaborate on this - but that there was nothing to "worry about" I felt uncomfortable with her giving me this very limited information. According to her my lungs were fine.  I had blood work done during the same visit last week and everything came back normal. I have no sypmptoms of having a physical condition- i.e., no night sweats, loss of weight etc. However on my last visit my physician did not examine me for swelling of the lymph nodes. Other than very borderline hypertension and elevated cholestoral- which is now well under control- I'm in good health.I'm 5.11 and 167 lbs., - so I'm not over weight.
Is it common or uncommon to have such enlargement? What might some of the reasons be for this? Is the CT scan something I should do immediatly? I guess I'm anxious because I have just come through a year of supporting a friend through treatment for lymphoma.
Thanks- Michael
Hello - thanks for asking your question.

Please note that without examining you or the chest X-ray, it is impossible to say what it is.  

There are many causes of enlarged lymph nodes in the chest.  Depending on where the enlargement is, the mass could be any of the following: thymomas, germ cell tumors, lymphomas, intrathoracic goiter, aberrant thyroid, and parathyroid adenomas, cysts, bronchogenic cysts, neurogenic tumors or esophageal tumors.

Of course, some of these disorders are more serious than others (i.e. cysts vs tumors).  

A CT scan should be done to further evaluate the enlargement.  Depending on what the CT scan shows, the next step would be either biopsy, resection, or further exploration with more detailed tests and procedures.  

Again, without examining you, I cannot be more specific.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Thanks,
Kevin, M.D.
I consider it unconscionable for a "medical assistant" to convey this information without the doctor being available to discuss it with you.

I hope all goes well.
i would like to say that i am in my very late twenties and have various medical problems i have i.b.s.[iritable bowel syndrome]
peptic ulcers,cant pass urine and have alot of proteins in my urine i have been under the doctors for a very long time and i feel that more tests need to be done..as most not all tests that they did do come back normal is this all in my head ireally cant believe that i also have sister who has a bladder disease a mother who is stress incontinence i really wish that the doctors could do more ..............give me some advice .....i also get very sore under my arms and have had lymph node infections where a little lump appears i feel it keeps coming back as i sweat alot and and my underarm and part of my chest is very very very tender.....well i close for now .....mick
A related discussion, swelling of limp node was started.
A related discussion, 25 y/o F needs help! was started.