Family Health Expert Forum
Headache in morning

Questions in the Family / Internal Medicine forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include general health issues, adolescence, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations and vaccines, infectious diseases, medical tests and procedures, and senior health.

Headache in morning

Every morning I wake up with a headache on my left side.

When this started, I thought it was in the back of my head and neck area on the left side..

However, every morning now, as soon as I wake up the left side of my head.. above my left ear and slightly to the back has a terrible burning sensation.. kind of like if someone hit me in the head.. possibly even a feeling of pressure.

I have also noticed that my left eye was hurting for a while in the socket (feels like a hook in my eye socket) and I have had iritis in my right eye with the same feeling.

This headache goes away after a while of sitting upright (waking up and doing normal things) and the rest of the day I feel it hurting a little bit on the left and back part of my head into my neck..

** This pain is very strong and focused when I wake in bed in the morning, but diminishes after standin up and gets more of wider spread vague pain after the day starts going by **

Any ideas?? I am just about to get med insurance with my job.

-- I have had a CT scan of my head and neck w/o contrast earlier this year -- but did not have these symptoms either.
If the head CT was negative earlier this year, it is unlikely that something like a brain mass could have grown that fast.  Other possibilities would include temporal arteritis, a bleed, as well as various types of migraines.  

I would consider repeating a non-contrast head CT, and obtain a sedimentation rate (which would evaluate for temporal arteritis).    If these tests are negative, a neurology referral can be considered to further treat and evaluate possible migraine syndromes.  

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
Medical Weblog:
kevinmd_b
-6 Comments
What do you mean a Bleed??

Also, the pain is not throbbing.. like a migraine?
I felt like I was reading my own ailment with what you wrote. I have the same. I wake up with a headache every morning in my left side and eye, it goes down into my neck. Please post what you find out. I have not checked with my dr yet. I thought it may have been a nerve in my neck.
i have been waking up with headaches every since i moved to texas i am not sure why or what it could be  i just wish i had some relief please help