Family Health Expert Forum
Lung, throat, and voice irritation

Questions in the Family / Internal Medicine forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include general health issues, adolescence, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations and vaccines, infectious diseases, medical tests and procedures, and senior health.

Lung, throat, and voice irritation

My last bout of trouble started about 3 weeks ago when I went to someones place who has a cat and dog in the home. The fumes or urine or something were so strong that I started feeling my lungs start to burn. The burning in the lung and bronchi area lasted for several days. But I still have a hoarseness when I speak that will not go away and I still feel irritation in my throat area. Also I have noticed 2 or 3 light-yellow colored "bumps" on the wall of my throat. My lungs are very sensitive to fumes also, maybe because I have had Pneumonia 2 or 3 times. Could I have caught something? Thanks, lc Ind
It may be possible that this may be infectious in nature.  A chest X-ray would be the first step to ensure this isn't the case.  If some kind of atypical pneumonia is present, then antibiotics can be considered.  If there is suspicion that the lung is involved, further tests such as a bronchoscopy by a pulmonologist can be considered.  

If the throat irritation continues, then a referral to an ENT specialist can be considered.  A laryngoscopy can be done to ensure there is no throat disorders or masses that can cause the symptoms.  

Failing that, an allergy specialist may be consulted to suggest treatment for a possible allergic reaction.  

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
Medical Weblog:
kevinmd_b