Family Health Expert Forum
Plueral Thickening

Questions in the Family / Internal Medicine forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include general health issues, adolescence, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations and vaccines, infectious diseases, medical tests and procedures, and senior health.

Plueral Thickening

I am a 36 year old female who just recently had a C.T. scan done of the abdomen.  My results were given to me on Monday, and all with the abdomen are okay.  However, they found that I have plueral thickening of the lungs.  

I have been treated with allergy induced asthma since October of 2001.  I take two puffs of Azmacort twice a day and one puff of Serevent twice a day for my asthma, along with allergy shots once every two to three weeks.  

However, in the last 5 months I've complained about my breathing still.  Now, we moved into a new apartment in August 2000.  New construction.  I believe this is where I might have been exposed to Asbestos.  I currently work in a plant that makes Corelle dishes, but do not use absetos anymore, but could have remnants of asbestos left in the building.  

Is this treatable?  And will my inhalers need to be changed because they don't seem to be working anymore.

Do you know how I can find out if there is asbestos in my apartment?

Thanks,
  Sue Richmond
Thank you for visiting the Family Practice Forum.
There may be very little you can do to change the pleural thickening that is present, however, it is important that you have no further exposure to potential lung irritants. The local health department should have information on whether or not there is asbestos present in your current dwelling. If they don't you can ask them to evaluate for the possibility.
Now, might I suggest you talk to your doctor about possibly adding another medication to your regimen. In patients who have underlying lung disease such as COPD (emphysem) or asthma, I have seen excellent results through the use of two newer medications. One is called "Singulair" This is taken in pill form once daily and serves to help prevent the migration of inflammatory cells to the lungs. Another is a newer inhaler known as "ADVAIR" this is a combination of a steriod (inflammation reducer) and bronchodilator (opens up the airways). It is a newer delivery system in something called a "discus". I feel it does a better job than traditional inhalers at getting the medication deep into the lungs.